We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 3 tourist things to do

London
Level Contributor
414 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Top 3 tourist things to do

What's your top 3 tourist things to do?

Mine are:

1) go to serekunda market and have a good wander round. Experience gambian trading and living.

2) go to tanji and watch the catch come in. Fish and people by the hundreds. Plus pickup a bit of smoked bonga.

3) go to sanyang and paradise beach. Relax and sunshine in good surroundings and great staff.

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

I agree with all of those and I would add three enjoyable things I did:

1) A trip to Katchikali Crocodile pool and museum near Bakau.... 50 Dalasis

2) A day long fishing trip/booze cruise + BBQ, from Denton Bridge on a double-decker boat organised from Churchills all in (except booze!!!) for around 700 Dalasis.... great value.

3) A trip to the monkey park which is walking distance from The Strip towards the Voodoo Bar. 50 Dalasis

Edited: 19 August 2014, 21:24
Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

1) Sanyang on a Sunday to watch the wrestling (free entry) & then watch the fishermen roll in their beautiful boats, taking time to chat to the guys to identify the fish.

2) An all day fishing trip with a BBQ on board. Lovely to see the different birds along the way.

3) A visit away from the usual tourist areas, visiting a local village & school. Magical.

Not necessarily in that order!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

All of the above trips are good..however you might want to consider at least one night "out in the sticks"..There are lots of places you can travel to and stop over..especially down the coast. One we like to do is travel down to Khartong..about 45 mins in a taxi and stay with Hanni at the Lemon Fish guest house..Set back off the main road leading down to the sand sunes..She has a lovely place with a veranda..pitch black at night, Hannie will cook and look after you..Shes a lovely Dutch lady with some great stories.. The beach is to die for with a couple of beach bars within walking distance...

Manchester
Level Contributor
504 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

The monkey park increased its price to 150 dalasi in February. I can't blame them - it has been so cheap for so long, but it was a big increase in one go! Lol.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

We had an overnight stay in one of the roundhouses at Paradise Beach. Unfortunately the generator broke which meant no electricity - however, for us it just added to what was a wonderful experience. We took a walk along the beach to the next beach bar. Full of locals who were so welcoming - and the dancing was amazing!

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

One I would add is the trip I did to Marakissa River Camp, south of Brikama. Absolutely worth a day trip to birdwatch, and take a canoe along the shallow river. I've been there twice !!

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

Second the tip on Lemon Fish Guest house ,Fab place Fab location ,also I recommend taking a short walk across the road to the school to have a look around ,our friend Njemmeh was on a two year student placement there and she took us round ,its a little gem of a place ,

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,294 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

Whilst I agree that D150 is not a big price to pay to enter the Monkey Park I wonder why the increase? There is almost no maintenance done in the park and only one person needed to take payments. Unless it has changed you only tip a guide if you use one so they are not paid from the entrance fee. The animals don't get paid so why a 300% increase?

Rainbow Beach bar now has mains electric so the gene is only needed if and when it goes off which is almost never. I stayed long term in a compound only a few km away and if you lost power it was for 10 minutes to an hour at a time.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

Boboi Beach Lodge in Kartong takes some beating for location,food and wonderful staff. Makasutu lodge for canoe trips and guided walks through the forest and then lunch with the baboons!...Coffee at Timbooktoo, for cool, calm and a good browse through the bookshelves. The Butchers shop for excellent food and imaginative juices.... Just too many to mention...

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 3 tourist things to do

It is the monkeys pete ,they went on strike for better conditions ,not money so to get them back and give them what they wanted Zoom up went the price ,now they are back and happy ,I must say I prefare the ones at Abuka much more civilized in asking for nuts you get mugged like I did in the monkey park by the bugge--s but the Abuka ones are more laid back ,no jumping on you with these boys just a gental outstretched hand and a thank you ,so my first choice would be Abuka its a really good day out and you with all the work going on to make it even better its well worth a visit ,