We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first visit

Which Banjul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
first visit

we was thinking of going to Gambia a few months back but someone told us it was very expensive out of the resorts but then today i have been told that its cheap and that its not has expensive as i was told

PLEASE can you advise me on what the local prices are like and also would you recommend going i have never had gambia on my list of holiday destinations but after talking to a few people i am beginning to get ma plastic at hand and thinking of getting it booked please help if you have been xx thank you so so much i really appreciate all your help i will do a search on here too x m

staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first visit

I do think it depends who you talk to about this tbh. People who have been going for many years will generally tell you it is expensive because over the last few years it has gone up in price for meals, supermarkets and drinks etc, but I think its still comparable to most of Europe, just not as dirt cheap as it used to be. But I think we have to remember that prices all over the world (home included!!) have increased slightly too because of the state of the world economy. I would recommend the Gambia to ANYONE!!!

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first visit

Thank you for your speedy response the more i think of the Gambia the more i might book it its so cheap to get there seen deals for £250 for a two week stay and i have heard the people are so lovely and warm in the gambia. We just dont want to get out and have to spend a fortune on things because all the deals we have seen are on a b and b basis x

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first visit

As long as you venture OUT of the hotel to eat you should be Ok.

Hotels prices are inflated in comparison to outside

staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first visit

I agree definately eat outside the hotel when you can. Not only is it cheaper, its how you get to experience the REAL Gambia. The people are generally the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. They dont call it "the Smiling Coast" for nothing. GO FOR IT!! and enjoy x

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: first visit

See 'Top questions about the gambia' on the top right handside of gambia forum page for info relating to cost of food and drink HTH.

Also bear in mind depending on hotel they may charge for safe, air con, or fan, all adds to cost.

When you have done more research let us know which hotel you are considering etc and can advise of further costs .

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first visit

I think its all about lifestyle and comparison with other destinations.

Ive been to The Gambia, Greece and Spain in the last few months and if you are comparing prices I think you will find TG is by far the best value for money. And where else in the Winter months, with a 6 hour flying time can you experience a real "foreign" destination?

I don't like to use the word "cheap" because it all depends what you are looking for...as an example, go to Majorca, try the "Pirates Night" in Magaluf and you wont get much change out of £100!

There isn't anything like that type of "attraction" in TG...most of the nights revolve around good food, good drink and good company!

Day trips can be costly if you use the Hotel reps and their companies but local operators/taxi drivers can do the same trips at much reduced costs.

But, if you like a good chilled out holiday with almost guaranteed sunshine and new experiences then I am sure you will have a brilliant time.

Food and drink at the majority of places is of a very high standard..You will be amazed at the variety of seafood at really good prices. If you don't care for seafood there are loads of alternatives.

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first visit

wow ... i must do some more research everything sounds so positive about TG x thank you so much for all your good advice x think we will be visiting the smiling coast soon x

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: first visit

Granny i just booked with Thomas cook as GE decided to continue ripping me off. staying at usual senegambia am i right in thinking AC is included ?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: first visit

I think air con is included in Senegambia Hotel but have to pay extra for safe?

CUMBRIA
Level Contributor
102 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first visit

Just got back from a 2 week stay at Kairaba Hotel. Prices the same as last year as long as you go out to eat & drink eg bottle local beer in hotel 90 dalasi out side from 25 dalasi, plus you can people watch for free !!!

Gambia is a place that you either love or hate first time.

Get answers to your questions about Banjul
Recent Conversations