We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

how easy is it to get to Banjul from Dakar and how much would it cost and how long does it take ?

Also Adrian you quoted a fair from London to Dakar for about 365 ,what company was this as I have never seen a fair this low before ?

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

I have worked out the company offering flights to dakar .

http://www.afriqiyah.aero/

An other question are visas required for entering Senegal ?

oh yes and an other question can I get a visa on the border to enter Gambia and what time does the border shut .

Edited: 10 April 2010, 19:49
Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

Hi

No you dont need a visa to enter Senegal if your stay is less than 3 months and you hold a passport from an EU member state You dont need a visa to cross from Senegal to Gambia just the usual passport controls Normal overland route from Dakar is via Kaolock and Toubacouta to Barra for the ferry This journey should take about 4.5 hours with maybe .75hrs for border formalities and possibly a few hours wait for the ferry and then the ferry time If you dont mind roughing it and using local transport cost is quite small This airline has strange pricing there is often one or two fares a week very competetive and other days in the same week twice as much needs careful monitoring Remember this airline is Libyan and although their website says direct flights all land in Tripoli and the passengers are vetted Make sure you havent been anywhere Ghaddafi doesnt like i.e.Israel rgds

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

Thanks you have been very helpful

Do know where about in Dakar do I pick up the transport please .

I think it would be silly for me to not spend a couple of days in Dakar first though although budget accommodation seems non existent as they charge for 2 persons usually and not by the room or so it would appear .

Still it would be a nice adventure and coming in about 130 cheaper than TC for Christmas dates .yes it seems like a lot of hassle to save 150 pound but it will be an adventure and it would be nice to see Dakar and it will make it easier once I have done it once to be able to visit Gambia much cheaper in the off season .

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

"Getting to and from Dakar: To get from Dakar to Banjul overland takes a whole day with an early start. The main delay is crossing the Gambia River and the border crossing. Roads in Senegal are pretty good, but getting from Banjul to the border or visa-verse is hard work. To get to Dakar by air is not good value. A ferry service has been started between Banjul and Dakar and back daily. It's about US$20 for foreigners and is great to save an energy draining overland journey. It takes 4 to 6 hours"

http://travelindependent.info/africa-west.htm

the above quote is from the website above ,does anyone know if this is still the case ,as I have never heard of a ferry from Dakar to Banjul .

Malaga
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

I travelled on the ferry hydrofoil service from Banjul to Dakar on New Years Eve '99,returning six weeks later.The service was very efficient and the vessel was pretty much full on both trips.In April 2000 when I was leaving TG bound for Spain I wanted to use the same service to get to Dakar.On arrival at the port I learnt that that days service had been cancelled.We caught the ferry to the North Bank at around 5p.m.,on arrival we found a taxi driver to take us to Dakar.I forget the exact time we arrived but it was certainly in time to check into a hotel and have late supper in a restaurant.I have no idea if the ferry service still runs,but I would think long and hard before taking a boat anywhere in that region.Not long after we left, a Ziguinchor-Dakar ferry went down off the Gambian coast with great loss of life.The road trip can be hair raising but you should arrive in one piece!I was once fined by two Senegalese Gendarmes for speeding and not wearing a seat belt trying to make the last Banjul bound ferry,they actually gave me a receipt! Dakar is an experience,I like it a lot,but I would always stay on Goree at night and venture into the City by day,that ferry is fine!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

Brian

No, there's no ferry, unfortunately. However the 5-hour to all-day journey is really very straightforward. Easiest plan is to get a Peugeot taxi from the Pompiers gare routiere (bus/taxi park) in Dakar to the Senegalese border post at Karang (about CFA5000, I think, usually in a seven-seater), where you exit Senegal and take a 1.5km hop in a local vehicle to the Gambian border post at Amdillai. From here, it's a short journey down to Barra on the north shore of the river (local minibus), where you wait for the ferry across to Banjul.

Hope that all makes sense.

Richard

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

thnak you and from the gambia side how to get to kololi .is it straight forward as you say and is there likely to be on other tourist taking the same journey ,

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

Hi

brian_723

Once you are in Banjul there are hundreds of local cabs that will take you into the TDA you will have absolutely no problems getting a quick trip rgds

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

thanks Adrian .

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: how much get from Dakar to Banjul by road ?

i want to add more to this thread is it worth taking a flight to dakar for Christmas 14 December coming back on 4 jan for 450 pound as Christmas is very expensive to fly to the Gambia .Is going overland this way viable .I would have the time but i do not want to spend much getting to the Gambia is this viable .

I know it can be done for about 40 pound return overland ,but not sure if I have enough experience to do it ,thoughts please .

I am use to a rough ride i travelled overland from Thai border to siam reap once and that involved being towed out of flooded roads by tractor .

I do not mind the adventure but need to know if i could do it on the cheap to make it worth it .

Get answers to your questions about Banjul