We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senegambia in August

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
12 posts
Save Topic
Senegambia in August

Yes I know August is not the ideal month to go but other committments mean I have to bite the bullet. Does anyone know what the nightlife is like on the Senegambia strip area at this time of year? Deserted or even a little lively perhaps?

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Senegambia in August

Hi

I wouldnt recommend August It can be the wettest month and very humid with little sunshine The Senegambia strip is fairly deserted with maybe 3 or 4 of the main tourist restaurant open all the local bars and restaurants away from the tourist area will be open so you wont have difficulty finding food and drink It also depends what you want as nightlife since again all the local places of entertainment are all year but youll be mixing with locals not tourists On the plus side TG is very green at this time of year something most tourists who go in season never see rgds

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Senegambia in August

Thank you for the info. I spent a year in Sierra Leone so am assuming the humidity in TG will be similar as it is just along the coast. As reagrds the locals I was there in December and must admit there were alot of locals then in the bars and discos in the Senegambia area - sure one was called WOWs! I say locals however most seemed to be from Guinea or Sierra Leone. I can't see the locals paying the prices on the Senegambia strip if no tourists are there? Either way you have given me some food for thought and thanks again.

uk
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Senegambia in August

night life you can try time out between sengambia and palma rima , bucarabu down near luigis is till open and might have bands in there on a wed and friday night

or go to the duplex night club near the fun fair, great nights out and will be busy as only the locals go there and there are resturants next door

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Senegambia in August

glen most of the locals you were referring to in wow are hookers .

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senegambia in August

Yasmina's, La Romantica, The Indian, The Italian place, Paradiso, Ali Baba's were all open last summer. This year Jo Jo's is also open in the summer. Gaya's on the main road was open, and a few of the other bars there. The smaller local bars will also be open, like the Courtyard and Pandora's Box in brufut. So not really deserted but quiet.

Some tourists were saying that they liked it like that. The humidity didn't seem to bother the Spanish and German tourists. The days do tend to be gray, but very rarely rains all day. Last year we had one day when it rained from about 3 am to mid day.

On the plus side, the birds are more plentiful, with species you don't see in the winter, and the lush vegetation makes familiar places seem strange again, and the sea is warm. (It is already). The thunder and lightning can be spectaclar. It really is getting to be my favourite time of year, though even I sought the refuge of air conditioned Ali Babas on more than one occasion.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Senegambia in August

Swarms of insects at this time of year comes to mind.

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Senegambia in August

Yes ok - had forgotten that. The worst are the winged cockroaches which come up in clouds after the rains. Mind you, without all the insects, there wouldn't be so much bird life.

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Senegambia in August

Hookers? Good God - no wonder they were so friendly!! And there was me thinking it was my charm and good looks!!!!

Edited: 07 June 2010, 08:52
Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Senegambia in August

Sorry. Not winged cockroaches, but winged termites. Whatever. They are horrid. Glen68 - why not try August for a change? It is so hot here today, when you come out of the air conditioned supermarket, it feels like walking into an oven. A little rain this morning, and everyone looking forward to the first big storm now.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Senegambia in August

Heledd...Looking forward to the storms here in Thailand as well. Bangkok has had some rain but here in Pattaya we've had only a little. Boy, it's been so hot here recently. Please let it rain long and hard soon.

Edited: 07 June 2010, 16:37
Get answers to your questions about Banjul