We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Gambia

London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Newbie to Gambia

Hi all

I am thinking of visiting Gambia for the first time in Dec or Jan. I visted North Goa for 3 wks begiing of Jan for 1st time and loved it, How does Gambia compare anyone ? What area is best to consider ? I have been reading up a little on reviews and tips on this site but still very unsure where to try and book. In regards to accomadation basic but clean. I do like sunbathing so a large pool area would be good. want to be very near beach and local eating places, but am i reading right that the beaches are not suitable to swim in due to currents ?

Hope you can suggest nice hotels as i need to make my mind up soon and get something booked. I was considering India again but prices seem to have gone up a lot compared to Jan prices I usualy travel via package holiday any suggestions would help as im getting in a pickle looking back and forth at different hotels and reviews !!!

Would also consider Kenya.

Thanks a lot

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Summer Grove Villa
Summer Grove Villa
#1 of 3 hotels in Banjul
One World Village Guesthouse
One World Village Guesthouse
#1 of 2 B&Bs / Inns in Banjul
Laico Atlantic Hotel
Laico Atlantic Hotel
#2 of 3 hotels in Banjul
Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Gambia

Ive been to Kenya and Goa several times and have been visiting TG for 12 years now. All 3 destinations have their merits but for convenience, price and overall value I think you will like it.

Of course there aren't any big game, temples etc but if you are looking for a chilled out experience give it a try. Hotels? They are all of a reasonable standard, some better than others.Its a case of seeing whats available. Have a trawl through the forum for advice. We like The Mansea.

You probably will not eat in the hotel and for a first timer you should maybe consider the Senegambia resort as thats where its all happening.

The sea can be rough and currents are strong but there are areas where people say its safe to swim. But there again most of the hotels that are near the beach have their pools down by the beach so you don't need to swim in the sea.

Food and drink is very reasonable and to a high standard.

Mentioned in this post
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,369 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Gambia

Thanks have had a quick look at both Mansea and Senegambia so will look again, are they near each other. Goa seems to have gone up by £500 each for some reason since Jan !!

Mentioned in this post
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,369 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,544 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Gambia

have a look at directholidays part of TC but cheaper, bigger discounts

we have booked mansea beach for christmas, havent stayed there before, but will be happy if its clean, basic dont bother us only sleep there

London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Gambia

Will do have you been before at all if so where did you stay

Thanks

Shropshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Gambia

Hi

Be aware that the hassle on the beach and outside the hotels can be on the heavy side. The ladies selling trinkets on the beach in Goa ,will take no for an answer. Some of the male bumsters in the resorts in Gambia donot.

Having said that be firm and its all part of the experience.

Of the two I preferred the Gambia, I am sure you'll have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,544 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie to Gambia

well this trip will be our 11th time, stayed at sarges, baddala park, and holiday beach club,

so this is another experience lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie to Gambia

Thanks for all replys still looking getting brain dead now. Im sure ill find something soon as i decide its a definate.

Cheers

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie to Gambia

for where to stay - if you want quiet then you need to look at cape point, with a handful of bars and restaurants, or Bijilo which is close to Senegambia but very quiet, busier is Kotu and the busiest area is the Senegambia area. Which ever you choose, they are all fairly close and easy to get to in a local taxi. As has been said, for a first time, Senegambia hotel and Kombo Beach at Kotu seem to be very popular, but it does depend on your budget and what you want/expect from the hotel. Sorry I can't comment on the hotels as we don't use them.

Mentioned in this post
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,369 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Kombo Beach Hotel
Kombo Beach Hotel
1,158 Reviews
Kotu, Gambia
London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie to Gambia

Thanks for tips, also can anyone advise about access to medication / hospitals if required.

I only ask as i have had severe allegy to mozzie bites on most holidays like spain cyprus etc !! which have ended up having several injections medications and return vists to the doctors etc.

However in India i was not affected at all for some reason but maybe it was because i used the usual protection MORE than usual and probarly covered up at night more than i did when i was in other countries. I will continue to do so wherever i go in the future but Just in case - what is availible and how far in Gambia

Thanks D

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie to Gambia

There is Lamtoro, Bijilo clinic and Africmed which are some of the 'better' clinics, which are all close to the 'strip', but I'd use a good protection and not rely on the clinics. Don't forget your anti-malarials, a MUST, out there. I am fed up of people saying 'I don't./didn't get bitten so I don't need them'. Malaria is a KILLER.

Get answers to your questions about Banjul
Recent Conversations