We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

doncaster
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

Hi. We are consdering taking out 8 month (in April) grandaughter to Gambia. Has anyone got any advuce or recomendations on this? Is it safe? Many Thanks.

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

My 6 month old son was born and lives in TG. Seems to me TG no differnt to anywhere everyone loves babies especially toubab babies :-). Not sure what medical precautions u would need to take so speak with your Dr.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

yes you would need to check up on malaria cover for a little one of this age. Malarone goes by weight so depends how big she is! She will be unbale to have her typhoid jab but at that age I guess she will only be on milk and baby food anyway so will need to take a case full. We did it with our second when he was about 1 . I always think its ridiculous that infants get no luggage allowance when you have to take so much for them!! Obviously, make sure you take lots of baby sunscreen-block and make sure she drinks lots and lots and try to keep her away from all those nasty mozzies. she will love it! And the locals will love her too

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

Hi

Yes Malaria cover is essential if you cant get it approved , dont go. but you should be OK. The mfgs. info for paediatric malarone has alway been ambivalent suggesting minimum weight as an anti malarial is 11Kgs and for treatment 5Kgs Good hygiene and basic common sense should see you safely through a holiday taken in and around the tourist area I wouldnt recommend taking a child so young up country where some of the rarer nasties are likely to be found rgds

North Wales
Level Contributor
268 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

Why take her at all ?

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

Im with Dave on this one....why?

I wouldnt dream of taking my 5 year old grandson and I would definetly not be thinking about taking my 2 month old grandson!!!

Why take the risk...there has been 3 cases in the last few weeks off Brits coming back with Malaria from Gambia!

If you were residing in Gambia/staying long term...well that would be a different kettle of fish...but for a holiday...well Im flabbergasted!

Chester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

The Gambia for a baby of that age is fine, subject to the obvious medical advice.

Why, though, are you subjecting her to Banjul?

It is no place for an adult tourist, let alone a baby.

Where are you planning to stay in Banjul?

staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

We have been taking our 2 children regularly since they were about 1 year old. As said before, obvioulsy just make sure she is old enough for all the correct medical precaustions and be careful and vigilant. She will love it!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

Theres no way I would take an infant to Gambia. I know many people have and many people have brought their kids back ok but, theres so many tropical diseases that you don't hear about......

Its not just the "nasties" like malaria but theres others such as intestinal worms and bed bugs (I got bitten all over at Sarges!)

We had our local BBC Look North on the other night and they had a special article about the rise in North Easteners returning from The Gambia with Malaria..

Remember, no precaution gives you 100% protection.

Is it really worth it at that age?

Far better pick somewhere less risky and wait a couple of years before taking them to The Gambia.

9. Re: Thinking of taking our 8 month Grandaughter to Banjul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Banjul