We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

Which Banjul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

Although I understand that YF is only recommended would my travel insurance be void if I did not have it? If it may affect my insurance then I will be seeing about having the jab.

I did have a YF jab about 20 years ago and I understand that the WHO is saying that it now considers that to be a lifetime immunity.

I will be going to a Travel Clinic to get advice as well.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

Hi - Regarding the WHO here's their YF fact sheet. The statement about sustained immunity and no need for a booster can be found in the 3rd paragraph in the Prevention/Vaccination section:

www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs100/en/

Regarding travel insurance I guess some providers might insist you have the jab, others not - best ask before you travel. I have never been asked by an insurer to declare if I have had a YF jab, and I don't know of anyone who has.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

The only other issue is if travelling to a 3rd country, the USA is one, where they are strict on entry from countries they consider to be a YF risk. The USA would not permit entry without a YF certificate if you had been in an "at risk area" within the maximum incubation period, currently deemed to be 16 days, in case you had been bitten and infected on your last day.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,039 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

Insurers won't ask if you've had a yellow fever jab (unless you have to claim) but most policies state the policy does not cover any claim which is directly or indirectly resulting from your failure to obtain any recommended inoculations, vaccinations or medications.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

Interesting point - I have just checked the smallprint on my policy and found the following under " What is not covered":

k) Expenses incurred as a result of a tropical disease where You have not had the recommended inoculations and/or taken the recommended medication.

I had a YF booster 2 yrs back so don't have a problem with it.... this clause would also apply to those who elect to go abroad without suitable anti-malarials, and I know many who go to Goa without protection.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 16:20
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

Thanks for the replies.

I have read the WHO's advice and it would seem that I am covered by my previous jab - besides I am also over 65 so not recommended. It is really the insurance that I am concerned about.

I have no plans to travel elsewhere untill well after the incubation period, 16 days, after my return date.

I will ask my insurer just to clarify things.

Most replies on here about the YF jab do not mention anything about possible insurance problems so just wanted to highlight that as a 'slight' possibility.

scotland
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

Hi trev,thanks for checking your small print. I hope others take note.

Rgds Bruff

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

I have now checked with my insurance provider they are also saying I would not be covered if I didn't have the recommended jabs.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

I wonder what "recommended" means in light of

a) The WHO statement that a booster is no longer necessary and

b) The risk for those over 60 years old in having the jab.

and another thing to consider is that (as I understand it) there hasn't been a reported case of YF in TG for over 20 or 25 years.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 17:31
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

I should have added to the above post that both the NaTHNaC and NHSFitForTravel websites for The Gambia still recommend the YF jab for travellers:

nathnac.org/ds/c_pages/country_page_gm.htm

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…gambia.aspx

Something for those under 60 and/or who have not had a YF jab to consider.

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow Fever inocculation and Travel Insurance

Maybe the 'Fitfortravel' website has not been updated since May 2013 - these things take some time!!

As far as I'm concerned there are too many stories of people without travel insurance, or invalid insurance, to want to take the risk, however small of not at least attempting to have it all covered.

I have just been told that there is a shortage of for the Typhoid jab.

Get answers to your questions about Banjul