We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Ghana for Work

1 post
Save Topic
Coming to Ghana for Work

I am coming to Ghana for work april 28-june 30 and had a few questions,

1. If i don't take malaria pills, have a test kit and antibodies, and check if i get any symptoms, do you think ill be ok, I really don't like the idea of taking these pills for 3-4 months. Is it a huge problem there, Ill be based out of Accra and traveling around.

2. hows the surf, what other fun stuff is there to do?

3. whats the best local dish?

4. how is the rain during the season, does it dump all day?

5. Any other advice for an American in Ghana.

6. Were shooting a film if anyone knows where in Ghana they have film equipment, we'd love to source locally what we can.

thanks

sg1

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Ghana for Work

Draft answers:

1, If you don't take anti-malarials, your chances of getting malaria are quite high. Even if you do take them, you might get it - as tabs increase resistance, rather than give immunity. You should do both (1) take tabs, and (2) take other precautions. Don't ask on TA what to take, get good medical advice before arriving, then get better local advice as soon as you arrive - to correct for any mis-advice/mis-impressions you might take with you into the country. If you get malaria (or rabies, or an infection, etc.) in the bush (which is quite possible) - have your strategy (and supplies as advised) on first-aid treatment - and also know where the nearest hospital/clinic is at all times - and get familiar with the medical system so you will know how to act. I assume that you'll hire local staff (and learn how to do that properly), and that those staff will also be able to help you. BTW, be prepared for the other endemic diseases - including those with higher risks in your filming area(s). Rabies, cholera, typhoid, schistosomiasis, river blindness, sleeping sickness, etc. If you have valuable equipment, I trust you know what precautions are normally taken there in such situations?

2. Surf varies, but undertow can be strong. Don't expect anyone to be able pull you out. (They might be able to, but don't increase your risks.) You're responsible for your own safety on beaches. Don't swim in fresh water.

3. That's up to you. I have several favourites - others have others. Favourite breakfasts, lunch-dinners, snacks, drinks. And that varies whether I'm at home in the city, in a rest house on a work site, or in the bush.

4. This varies by location. But expect humidity to be high much of the time (rainy or dry season, dust in the air or not). Expect leather and other things to mildew without precaution being taken. The shoes and belt that you wear may be OK, but spares may rot. Consider fabric belts, etc. Expect rain to occur 1-3 times daily in the forest during the rainy season.

5. For an American? Can't think of anything country-specific to Americans. But it would probably be useful to read lots on Ghana. For starters, Wikipedia articles on Ghana, its regions and cities, its economy, culture, society, etc (e.g. follow most of the links on the Wikipedia article on Ghana, and read those links also). Also for the other countries of West Africa. Ditto for the Wikivoyage article(s) on Ghana and West Africa. Find the State Department Area Handbook (Country Study) for Ghana on the Web (Google is your friend, it's gratis on the Web), and read that. Note that it's old, so current politics and some other details are out of date at least somewhat. Nevertheless, it's an excellent read.

6. Actual **film** equipment? For specialty professional equipment/supplies, you might do better to be completely self-reliant. Don't forget to read up on electricity in Ghana: on and off the grid. Ditto water character, temperature of tap water, etc. If you're actually using film - note that the temperatures of solutions will be warm - due to the climate and temperature of tap water - without refrigeration (including, perhaps, ice to help control temperatures of chemicals).

I hope you're checking in advance for permissions - including the appropriate visa and working papers.

I also hope you are in touch with professional peers in Ghana (e.g. Ghanaians) - and have your networking already established so (1) you are set right on any details that you may have mis-estimated or overlooked, and so (2) you can hit the ground running?

I assume you have contingencies, for possibilities that things might go a bit more slowly than you originally plan, etc?

{{Why do I sense, from your post, that you may not be fully prepared for your proposed working visit?}} Actually, I would think a scouting trip would be appropriate - before making your final plans. But each to his/her own.

accra
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Ghana for Work

You are most welcome,i know you will definately go for your vaccination,that is a must thing to do first,i reccommend you to bring in mosquito reppelent,etc and you will be fine

1,SURF, i reccomend Ada Foah,an hour from Accra

2,DISH, you will love,BANKU,FUFU

3,RAIN, June,July rainy season,

4,ADVICE,dont be offended when you hear kids calling you OBRONI,means (white people) and is normal,not offensive in any way,in Ghana most places do not have street names and address,Accra has just a few,so try to know where you are going by looking out for signboards

5,what are you shooting and where?

3. Re: Coming to Ghana for Work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 20:05
4. Re: Coming to Ghana for Work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 04:34