We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scammers

Hamilton, Bermuda
1 post
Save Topic
Scammers

Good day:

I have been in contact with two Ghanaians and i wanted to see their ID's and they posted an Electorial Commission of Ghana cards with a polling station number and name of voter with picture.. can i consider this legitimate form of ID or are the cards easy to forge?

Bill

foggo101@yahoo.com

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scammers

Even if they are who they say they are, still doesn't mean you are not being scammed.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Scammers

What maic said. Electoral IDs are used for ID in Ghana, but just because they are who they say they are doesn't make them scammers.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scammers

i am trying to tell if im being scamed by a women who works in a restaurant in accra can anyone help ?

Wilkes-Barre...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Scammers

How can I tell if a Ghana passport is real? I have been talking to a girl from Ghana now for 4 1/2 months and she sent me a copy of her passport but I saw another article on another site that showed examples of fake passports and before I go too much further with her I want to make sure of what she's telling me is the truth.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 21:43
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scammers

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293796-i9182-k5…

Temecula, California
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scammers

Please tell me all you know about scammers in Accura especially from the Queens Hotel Thank you

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
139 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scammers

I have said this once but I will say it again. THIS IS A TRAVEL RELATED FORUM. If you are planning a trip to Ghana or are hoping to travel to Ghana in the future, ask a question. I am not sure how this forum turned into a "is this a scam forum". I am sure there are several other forums that deal with this issue. Ghana is an amazing country...go visit!! The people are great, the food is amazing, the scenery is breathtaking. I can't wait to go back. I am just really disappointed into what this forum has turned into lately.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scammers

Ghana is a great country and all, however some unscrupulous people( Ghanaians and citizens of other countries posing as Ghanaians) are seriously scamming innocent and unaware individuals on the internet and even on this forum.

Due to this situation people come on here to ask for information about scammers and hopefully genuine posters are also sharing their personal experience to help others by keeping them informed of different scam tactics.

Other TA forums have postings about scams going on in different countries so why not the Ghana forum. People need to be informed of unscrupulous activities out there so they do not fall victim to these scams.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
139 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scammers

I do feel for these people and I do hope they get the assistance they are searching for. That being said, I stand by what I said. This is a travel forum, not an "I got scammed on the Internet forum". I am on several other TA forums as I travel frequently and read posts about scams. However, most of these posts relate to bad business practices, bad hotels, inexperienced guides, etc. The posts on here have nothing to do with travel! This was addressed a few years back and posts were deleted. Just would love to see more discussions about traditional foods, the great beer, the markets of Accra, Elmina Castle, Mole NP, Kakum NP, or the wonderful people who make this great country what it is and less about Internet scams. After all, isn't that the purpose of Trip Advisor!? Not trying to sound cold, but as someone who loves to travel and help other travelers as well as be helped by fellow travelers, it's disappointing to see the direction the forum has taken. I remember my first trip to Ghana and how helpful other TA members were.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Scammers

We answer what we're asked. We do get legit travel questions as well.

Get answers to your questions about Accra