We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from South Africa to Lesotho

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Car hire from South Africa to Lesotho

Hi,

We are planning a road trip from Johannesburg to PE, via Lesotho in March and are looking at booking our car hire now. We have seen that you need written consent from car hire companies to cross the border into Lesotho, and that some car hire companies charge quite a high fee to take their car over the border.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this and is able to recommend a good car hire company to let us do this?

Thanks

Maseru, Lesotho
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from South Africa to Lesotho

Hi

how many are you in the trip, what type of a vehicle are you looking for, you want driven or you drive yourself. The cost will depend on some of this so provide more information and i will see if i could be of help to you.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
801 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from South Africa to Lesotho

I used to do this all the time. I would pick up a car in Bloemfontein and head to Lesotho. I used to use SIXT . They had a flat rate that was around GBP 12.00 Their big concern is that you will not return the car once it is across the border , that's why the fees are high.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from South Africa to Lesotho

Hi London!

When we did this, we rented our car with Avis at Johannesburg International Airport JNB. We did have a charge, but it was not dramatic. Don't take my word for it, though. Strange though it may seem, the charges for necessary car papers vary from company to company and also depending on the length of your rental period. Shop around.

Inside Lesotho, the roads are paved and the driving is easy. People are friendly. We felt safe when we were out and about. You'll get your eyes opened with the old-style Africa all around: herders, markets and at the risk of sounding politically incorrect, Third World scenery. It's not like that in South Africa and its other neighboring states, like Swaziland, which came across to us as much more modern. Some are shocked and some charmed. We'll see which you are.

You have border formalities: checking out of South Africa and into Lesotho. And vice versa on the way out. Allow about 15 minutes at each crossing, between parking, finding the correct counters inside the customs buildings, and getting all your passport stamps. I can't recall whether we had to pay any border fees, but if you do they can be paid in South African Rand, if as is likely you don't have any Lesotho currency, the Loti.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from South Africa to Lesotho

I rather think "London" came and went several months ago.

5. Re: Car hire from South Africa to Lesotho

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:19