We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Libyan Latest

London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Libyan Latest

Hi all.

A few pieces of good information on Libya here. However, I was just seeking some more, up-to-date info on the current situation in Libya. I have the possibility of a position in Tripoli, at the airport, and wonder what the security situation currently is. I see the FCO is still recommending against all but necessary travel.

Thank you in advance!

Tripoli, Libya
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Libyan Latest

Hello ..

Position in Tripoli it is OK in this time ... i can say it is safe something in airport ..

security situation in morning very nice .. and if you need any assistant in travel .. you can read more .. or contact

best regards

Tripoli, Libya
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Libyan Latest

Airport is great when it comes to security. At night, you got nothing to do anyway. So, it's better you stay home for the time being.. :)

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Libyan Latest

when traveling in libya.. are there car rental companies or are you better of hiring a driver.,and .what type of rates?..looking to travel to the costal cities

like Darna and the Eastern part of Libya.. what about safety?what type of food does libya has.,

and are the highways still has crazy taxi drivers as we heard?any pointers will be good...ALSO Does Libya has cell phone companies or can we use

our cell phones in Libya...

Tripoli
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Libyan Latest

Yes...Libya does have some rental car companies...I know Budget and Avis both operate here, but there are also some other local rental car companies.

I just made another post about travel in Eastern Libya, if you want to check that out. Safety-wise we felt fine while traveling out east. There were some routine check-points along the way. There are still some "skirmishes" that pop up here and there in various cities, but often the news seems to portray them to be larger than they are. On the whole, life is moving forward here.

Libya has its own traditional food (couscous, rice or noodles with sauce, etc.), but if you are eating out, there are a lot of Turkish and Lebanese restaurants.

There are 2 cell phone companies in Libya...Libyana and Madar. Both had not been issuing new SIM cards for a while, but I think that has changed, at least for Madar.

Hope this helps!

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Libyan Latest

thank you very much indeed.. for that great infos.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Libyan Latest

Does trip advisor give or get involved in orgnzd. tours.. like other companies

who charge a fair amount of fees. to take people on tours. like trafalger,globus etc. tour co. hope we spelled right..thank you.

7. Re: Libyan Latest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:43
Get answers to your questions about Libya
Recent Conversations