We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripoli, Libya - Costa Cruise stop ?

Which Tripoli hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tripoli, Libya - Costa Cruise stop ?

Hi,

In December 2005, I will take a Costa Cruise that stops in Tripoli. We plan to take a tour, but what kind of tour would you book? A full day, half day, etc?

If we shop here, what is there to purchase and what type of currency is accepted?

Thanks,

Sheila

Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripoli, Libya - Costa Cruise stop ?

Most probably, the Costa Cruise itself would have a tour lined up.

Planning a tour in Tripoli would also depend on the time you would be spending there. A visit to the National Museum would certainly be interesting, but it is so big and interesting that it would take most of your time and leave you with little or no time to visit other sites.

For a day tour, a 25-30 minute trip from (Tripoli) to the Archaeological Site of Sabratha is a must.

This was a Phoenician trading post that served as an outlet for the products of the African hinterland. It was also part of the Numidian Kingdom of Massinissa before being Romanized and rebuilt in the 2nd and 3rd centuries A.D. It is one of the properties in Libya inscribed on the World Heritage List.

Another archaeological site, but a place that would be impossible to visit in just one day, is the city of Leptis Magna. It is one of the most beautiful cities of the Roman Empire.

It was enlarged and embellished by Septimus Severus. It has imposing public monuments, harbour, market place, storehouses, shops and residential districts.

Most interesting remains here, include the Basilica of Justinian by the Mediterranean, the Temple of Serapis, and the Capitoleum dedicated to Zeus, Juno and Minerva

In the end, with so little time to tour, it would be best for you to choose one or two sites, and then spend the rest of the time, bargain-hunting at the Souk Atturk, very close to the Green Square, shop at the new, modern shops along the main streets, walk along the Tripoli, Embankment, and visit some of the mosques.

Very close to the centre are quite a number of very interesting mosques, particularly the En-Naqah Mosque, Tripoli’s oldest mosque, that of Mustafa Gurji Pasha, with its elegant architecture, and the Karamanli, a short distance from the castle, at the entrance to the main souq. It is probably the most splendid mosque in the entire city. There's also the new mosque close to the Post Office that was converted from a Roman Catholic Cathedral. It is a work of art architecturally.

You will find out for yourself that there's so much to see, that all you can do in one day is just taste the richness of this North African country.

When it comes to currency, although Libya has its own, the dinar, it is best to have your currency, either in Euro (around 1.5 dinars for a Euro) or US Dollars (about 1.35 dinars to the $).

I hope I have been of some help and that you enjoy yourself

Tripoli
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripoli, Libya - Costa Cruise stop ?

Hi,

i want to help a have good time here in libya-tripol, just send me email on this:-

hamedatyouness@yahoo.com

youness.

Tripoli, Libya
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripoli, Libya - Costa Cruise stop ?

Hi:

You can buy almost anything here in Tripoli

you can use Libyan Dinar or Us Dollar...

one Dollar= 1bout 1.35 libyan Dinar

welcome to Libya

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripoli, Libya - Costa Cruise stop ?

Dear Sheila,

I think I am taking the same cruise. Are you stopping at Malta and Tunis too? I am having trouble getting a visa to visit Tripoli. Have you completed all your paperwork? I hear Tripoli has the best preserved Roman ruins. A.S.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripoli, Libya - Costa Cruise stop ?

Hi Lucy

I called Costa and they said we would be covered under their travel protection if we sign up for a tour. So we are not buying visa's. Also, I have read that Costa will sell visa's if we need them.

Email me if you would like.

shebenn@aol.com

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripoli, Libya - Costa Cruise stop ?

Lucy

Yes, we are also stopping in Malta, Barcelona, Tripoli and Palma de Mallorca.

Do you have any idea of the time we will be able to get off of the ship and to the train station?

Sheila

Get answers to your questions about Tripoli