We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giorgimpopoli Hotels / Accomodations

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Giorgimpopoli Hotels / Accomodations

Hello. I am planning a trip to visit Tripoli in May (visa permitting), after being away some 30+ years. There used to be a hotel in Giorgimpopoli down the street from Guys & Joys. Anthony Quinn stayed there while filming the movie Lion of the Desert 1975 or 76 (a bunch of us kids got his autograph). I knew it as the Beach Hotel but maybe it had a Libyan Arab name. Does anybody know of it or if its still there. Does anyone know of an alternative inexpensive, friendly, hospitable hotel accommodation in or near Giorgimpopoli?

I would like to stay somewhere in the area as I used to live & go to OCS back in the 70s. I actually lived straight south about 2km from what was then the Underwater Club. I lived a block north of Gurgi Rd.

Thanks for your replies.

Tripoli, Libya
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giorgimpopoli Hotels / Accomodations

I'm not really familiar with those names as I'm kind of young I guess and things have changed pretty much specially names.

I think you are talking about we called it "Fondok Ashatie" It was built by

Ben Sasi or something. Anyway, it was demolished sorry to tell you that.

The whole are has changed. I'm not really sure about hotels in that area.

But you can stay around Tripoli center there some good hotels there and hire a taxi to travel around. It's kinda cheap!

Cheers!

France
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Giorgimpopoli Hotels / Accomodations

Hello, We lived in Libya for nearly 18 years and I too left in the late 79 to finish school, whilst my parents stayed on. I remember well the Beach Hotel you speak of and near there the Wadi al Rabir restaurant. Recently I returned to Tripoli and other parts of Libya for the first time since 1982. We stayed in the 4 Seasons Hotel which is between Giorgimpopoli and the harbour. It was resonably priced and very good food. Their address is on most Tripoli tourism sites or even in their yellow pages. People today do not know the name Giorgimpopli and call it Gagaresh.It is helpfulto look at google maps to view and print out Giorgimpopoli and the schools etc, to try and find your way around as many buildings have been rebuilt. You can reply to me if you need anything else. Campbell

3. Re: Giorgimpopoli Hotels / Accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tripoli