We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to tripoli

united kingdom
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to tripoli

Hi All

i am a single male and maybe being posted to Tripoli soon.

I have heard you can´t get a beer or alcohol anywhere?

where is the best expat place to live with good facilities.

Whats the social life like?

Are there any single women there?

are the shops good?

Can you bbq like in the uk, etc etc etc

need to know everything most post´s i have read are old ones can someone update me please

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to tripoli

Greetings Squid43:

Since it "sounds" like you are being Posted here I'll assume by either your government, or a major international company? If so, I'd suggest that you reach out to associates in your company and see what they can offer you. Many of the answers might just depend on who you work for and how long your Posting is.

You're right - you can't pop down to your favorite local and order up a pint, or go 'round the corner and purchase a bottle of anything (other than juice, milk, or water). There are many with access to alcohol, so depending on your company's affiliation - you could be in.

Regarding the best place to live - I guess that depends on where you will be working and who is footing the bill. As in all locales, there are good spots and bad, cheap, expensive and posh; some with large gardens, and some with none; stand-alone houses, condominiums, and high-rise apartments. You might not have a choice if your employer is involved.

If you have some cash to throw about, check out: Palm City Residence

www.palmcity.com.ly - a new facility, on the water, with nice mod cons.

Social life - will be up to you...depends on what you like to do in free time? No bars/pubs to hang in, so the thing for a lot of single guys is to hang out together in a cafe/coffee shop; drive about on the strips; hang in cafes and smoke sheesha; go to the beach and chill out and BBQ some lamb.

Much of your "social life" will depend on why you're here...and what your crowd already does.

Shops - depends what you are looking for....if you are willing to drive about and check things..you can probably find what you need/want. There's no high street shopping area - so things are a bit harder to find, and might not be what you're looking for.

YES - you can BBQ like in the UK. There are all types of small portable BBQs for sale about the place and real charcoal for sale (small blue or yellow bags of it)...all over. BBQ'ing at the beach, at your home, or under a pine tree near Leptis Magna or Sabratha are very popular things to do. Drag your kit out to the beach early in the morning - set up camp, and hang out cooking, swimming and relaxing. Quite popular on Friday and Saturday.

Lastly - if you don't already speak Arabic - I'd suggest you learn basic terms, phrases and numbers. Will help you immensely on your arrival and throughout your stay in Tripoli.

Tripoli, Libya
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to tripoli

hello ....

first of all .....i am Libyan so i understand what you are asking for and i can manage to make you live in the best place where u can get the best life quality in tripoli ....well the most important thing is the place that you're going to rent ....and all the other things come second ....i can give you the full information about living in tripoli like what the best are to live and where u can get the beer and all ....just call me on : 00218914886180 or you can email me on : abdor9@yahoo.com

3. Re: Moving to tripoli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tripoli
Recent Conversations