We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English language newspapers in Libya

Tripoli
2 posts
Save Topic
English language newspapers in Libya

I am a British expatriate who has been living (working) for about eight months in Libya, mostly Tripoli. I hasten to say, though I come from a very different background, that I find the place quite exciting, particularly after I discovered how safe this country is, and how friendly the Libyans are.

After managing to get my bearings right, I am really enjoying myself, going round the city and sometimes even venturing out of Tripoli to the suburbs.

For somebody like me who has always been on the go for most of my working days and who has worked for most hours of the day, I find Libya very relaxing. No, it is not yet perfect, but the way things are it looks that in a few years it would be a haven and I would like to be part of it.

I live here with my wife. My two teenage daughters are studying in England and a third son, who is married, lives in London. I was lucky enough to have them over for a short holiday three weeks ago. They were amazed that it could be such a relaxing place. We had a great time and they are eagerly looking forward to return in the spring.

What I found most lacking at first was a local English language newspaper. That is until I discovered that there is a good one around, The Tripoli Post. The 'problem' is, that it is not a daily, but only bi-weekly. However, it will do for me right now.

What I find most interesting is that it seems that most foreigners read this newspaper and on occasions when I have coffee with friends at Bab Africa, a grand hotel that I would suggest for anybody coming to Tripoli, the subject of this newspaper always comes up and we spend a lot of time, either going over the crossword or trying to Spot the Ball, and discuss the items of news carried in this newspaper.

I have learnt that The Tripoli Post is privately owned and not state-run. It's content is very down to earth well presented. I certainly would recommend it to the English speaking fraternity in Libya and even to visitors.

However, I would have liked to see more what's on in Libya as information of the sort is not easy to find if you don't really have Libyan friends who keep you updated.

Chris

Tripoli
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

Glad to hear you're having a great time in Libya. It really is one of the world's best kept secrets, as a holiday destination,and it's getting better all the time.

The Tripoli Post is a good source of information, and I've heard it's going to be a weekly paper from September.

Regards,

Imo

London - UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

Dear Chris,

I am so pleased to read your kind comments. Although as you have motioned that Tripoli is different but you found it a relaxing place.

I agree with you, it’s such a lovely city, and I am very proud of it.

Finally I wish you a pleasant stay during your work in Tripoli, and enjoy the weather as it’s raining now in London.

Tarek Alwan

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

Chris,

Your post is interesting and reassuring. I'm interested in transportation between Tripoli, Tunis, and Alexandria Egypt. I understand there are buses that travel between Alexandria and Tripoli. Any idea how I might find out about this. I'm hoping to travel to Morroco, Tunisa, Libya, Alexandria, and Turkey in April 2007. Any info. is appreciated. Thanks a bunch for your comments.

Gladys

Chapel Hill, NC, USA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

Chris,

Could you send me a note at tmaguire@newspaper.com? I have a couple of questions I would like to ask you in connection with my first trip to Libya next month.

Thanks.

Terry

Tripoli
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

So glad there was such a response from forum members.

All I said about Libya was from my heart. I am really enjoying my stay here and my family loves it so much.

After visits from my kids who were on holiday from school in England, in recent weeks I also had visits from other relatives.

They too enjioyed their stay. After a few days I left them on their own to roam the streets of Tripoli. They confirmed my belief that this is a safe haven.

Regarding the information by Imo about The Tripoli Post, yes since the beginning of September it has gone weekly. It is a very moderate general newspaper and now that has become weekly it helps us foreigners to understand more the libyans' way of life.

I have also heard that his newspaper is not state-owned. That is good news. I can couch that it is a very straight-forward newspaper, sometimes even critical to the few negative aspects one still finds in corners of Tripoli.

Foreigners have been fed too many negativeness about this country At least now we can read the other side from a reliable source.

I hae become so attached to this country in the few months I have been here, that I wish I could do more for it.

TMaguire, I have sent you the note you reqeusted from me

Raki Tours Libya
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

Hi Chris

Now a days there is lot of news and information sits in the internet which will keep you in tuch and well informed with what is going on around you in Libya

Ghadames is very nice worth seeing place , consider me one of your friends

Abdul

www.rakitour.com

Ao Nang, Krabi
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

Do any of you have information about a place called Raslanuf as I have been offered a teaching post there and can find very little information?!?

Boston, Mass
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

Hello,

I am an American student writing a research paper on newspapers in the Middle East. I saw your post about The Tripoli Post, and found it extremely helpful! Can you tell me more about where you found out that it was privately owned? I can't find any information online and I need this for my paper.

Thank you so much!!

bellelujah88 [at] yahoo.com

Cardiff
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

Hi Guys,

If you want more information on Libya and travelling to Libya, there's a new cool dedicated site were you can get info ask questions in their forum and upload your travel pics. Visit LiveLibya.com

http://www.livelibya.com/

Hope that helps chrism

10. Re: English language newspapers in Libya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 12:30
Get answers to your questions about Tripoli