We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jan/Feb best for North West?

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Jan/Feb best for North West?

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are looking at coming out in Jan or Feb 2010 and would love to go to the North West as we both love the look of Nosy Bee and the many islands around there.

We've seen a dhow journey that takes 7-8 days that looks sensational so we'd be looking at doing that for half our holiday.

We'd be over for 18 (ish) days in total so we're keen to see as much as possible, but at the same time don't want to spend too much time travelling on the roads!! We've looked at the internal flights as we'd need to get one up to Nosy Bee from Tanna.

We'd like to spend some time looking around the interior of the country before spending the last week on the dhow.

Any advice for a weeks trip in Jan or Feb inland? We both love nature, history etc.

All help gratefully received!!

thanks!

jon

1. Re: Jan/Feb best for North West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 15:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jan/Feb best for North West?

Thanks for your help, maybe we'll have a look at the South West area or maybe change the date we're thinking about travelling over.

Ideally we'd like a weeks trekking/exploring inland followed by a 8 days oa the beach relaxing. We'd like to go to places that are quite secluded, that's why I liked the idea of the dhow trip, you go to lots of different islands and there are only a few people on the dhow...

3. Re: Jan/Feb best for North West?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 15:29
Antananarivo
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jan/Feb best for North West?

Hi Jon,

I live in Tana and advise many peolpe about where to go, but never heard about a dhow trip. Where can I find that. Sounds great!

Please come another time if possible, because jan/febr is the rainy season. Ofcourse it will only rain at the end of the afternoon and during the day it is hot and sunny. Towards the South and West it's still dry, because it's more like a desert.

The East is the green part of the country and it get's hit by cyclones every year.

From April till October it would be better. Staying on Nosy be and visiting the surrounding islands and maybe diving/snorkling is fantastic. Besides that the route N7 towards the South from Tana gives the most landscape and culture diversity. You can travel in 8-10 days to Tulear, visiting many villages and parks. Then fly back to Tana and onwards to Nosy Be. After Nosy Be back to Tana and home.

Please, send me an email about that dhow trip or write it on the forum. Any more questions or need more details, please, contact me or post forum question.

greetings,

Wendy

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jan/Feb best for North West?

Hi Wendy,

Here's the link for the dhow trip, I've saved it in my favourites and have been dreaming about it!!

travel2madagascar.com/nav/dhow-travel/madaga…

Our plans may well have changed as we're now thinking about leaving the UK in Nov/Dec and spending 6-12 months travelling the world. This might allow us to be more flexible with regards to visiting Madagascar as I've got a friend in Cape Town and another mate in Mozambique. From there it would just be a short hop across!

We're mid 30s so this might be the last chance we get before we grow up and have children etc!! I've tried to be as much like Peter Pan as possible and this trip could be the last throw of the dice!!

Thanks for the information and I'll send you a message when/if we start to get things organised.

Cheers

Jon

Antananarivo
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jan/Feb best for North West?

Thanks for the link, that dhow trip looks great and not to expensive, not cheap either. I can understand that you are already dreaming of sandy beaches and palmtrees and beautiful coloured fish. I live in the capital so, those experiences are also no daily bread for me.

Exiting to be able to plan a worldtrip. And you are so right to do it before the kids arrive.

greetings,

Wendy

7. Re: Jan/Feb best for North West?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 05:17