We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth going to madagascar

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth going to madagascar

I am traveling to Africa in June. Going to Kruger and cape town so far. Now I have to decide either livingstone Vic falls or Madagascar. I can't go to both because of time. Can someone help me to decide please. I only have 4 days for either destination.

1. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2012, 11:28
New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

I have been to all of the places you mention and for your time and money, I would recommend Vic Falls. Not sure what your mode of travel is, but trying to visit Madagascar in 4 days is a bit of a joke. Technically, you could do it, but the infrastructure is so poor and there is so much to see, it would really be a shame to try to do it in 4 days, as you'd be so limited and would miss so much. Madagascar is an amazing place and I could talk about it almost incessantly, but if you're really interested, you should book a trip there specifically with the intention of exploring the country. It takes time, but it's so worth it.

Vic Falls from the Zambia side is great, and well worth the visit. You don't really need 4 days to do it, but it's quite proximal to the Zambezi River along the Botswana border, as well as Chobe NP, both of which are worth a visit. If you're keen on seeing game, particularly hippos and elephants, that's a very rich area. You could consider doing that, but not sure if that's more than you're looking to get involved with or if it would be logistically feasible for you.

The good news for you is that you're looking at a win-win scenario, but I would encourage you to hold off on the M'car trip for another time so you can enjoy it properly. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or want any more info. Good luck and safe travels.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

I would really stick to one country and use that extra time enjoying yourself instead of thinking.. I've got to get that plane.

I was in Madag for over 2 weeks and still didn't see the top end (my trip report is on here). I would stick with your SA plans and come back and enjoy Mada when you have enough time to.

Morondava...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

This time around it's probably best to stick with the continent. With travel time to and from Antananarivo your options for a very short visit will be extremely limited. Vic Falls is one of the 'wonders of the world' and if you're up for it along with other attractions in area you can enjoy the "World's Wildest Whitewater One Day". I actually organized the first commerical rafting trips on the Zambezi River in the early '80's, last visited in the mid-'90's and look forward to seeing the falls and 'Z' river once again..

But of course, we hope you'll save up (time & funds) and visit us here in Madagascar (the 8th Continent) in the future! You won't be disappointed.

San Jose
Level Contributor
140 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

Madagascar is wonderful country and lot to see, especially if you are nature lover. Unfortunately 4 days is really too short. The minimum is 7 days and even then it will be very limited.We visited 2 years ago for 9 days and had wonderfull time but very jam packed. Keep in mind that there is only one daily flight from/to Johanesburg to Tana. The flight tickets are not cheap because there is no competition.

I was not in Vic Falls but heard some disapointment from people that visited during dry season.

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

Thank you for your reply. After reading so much about it we have decided not to go this time. I would rather be able to spend time to see the country than to only have a few days and wishing we had more time.

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

Thank you for your reply. The more I read about mada the more I realise I want to spend a lot of time there. So not this time but I will get there so I can immerse myself in the culture! I guess its vic falls which is very exciting and full of adventures as well.

Morondava...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

Enjoy your time in SA and at the Falls. With 'low water' the falls may not be quite as impressive but still amazing. And rafting and other activities will be in full swing. We'll look forward to seeing you here on the 8th Continent in the future! Cheers

9. Re: Is it worth going to madagascar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 10:32