We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photographing in Madagascar

Seattle
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Photographing in Madagascar

Hello everyone,

I am looking to take a wildlife photography vacation and am considering Madagascar. This will be with my wife and two kids (then 9 and 10) for the summer of next year. My primary interest is photography (the trip is a gift from my wife) and more specifically wildlife photography. We are looking to spend about 3 weeks including flights.

I am very interested in photographing lemurs and chameleons but what I am unsure about is how easy is this? Certainly we will go on a tour with guides but how common are they? I realize these are wild animals but I will be a bit bummed to travel so far and only see a handful of lemurs and 2-3 chameleons.

Any advice on reputable local tour agencies would also be appreciated. We do not require nice places to stay, but we do prefer to stay in the nicest place available.

The other two places I am looking at right now are Borneo and the Pantanal. For me the deciding point is which place will provide the more interesting photos of wildlife, though I am aware that between the three Madagascar is likely the best for landscape and cultural photography.

For those who have been to either Borneo or the Pantanal, how would you compare the bird and insect opportunities with Madagascar? I am best known for my insect photography and certainly will look to add to my portfolio there.

Thank you for your time and I will greatly appreciate all advice.

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

Hi, as your program trip, you have the best itinerary to go to

Island of Africa call madagascar life with nature and full wildlife.You ask about some local tour guide, so I and my wife went to Madagscar last year with local tour guide , we have very satisfy and nice organise without problem.

As a travel agent, we have traveled with him, I would recommend clients when posting a program trip in forum tripadvisor.I would like you to share you my experience about

it because his job is excellent, more experience, he does a great job

Everything ran very smoothly due to his diligence, he was very knowledgeable wildlife, help all the time what you want and need for photography.He know where the best part to get many wildlife, well planned and varied .

So , when you need more information and help for a tour , do not hasitate to contact him and he has also website:

plovermada@hotmail.com

amstrak p

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

Hello Kirispupis ,When I read you planning trip, you can travel to Mada for wildlife and here is rich fauna and flora, I have organise a trip and I am local tour guide who can help you.

For wildlife , I would suggest you to explore to the coast of Mada

to watch lemurs, chameleons and then insect.

In 3 weeks, you can admire and travel to south, east rain forest and south west coast.There are many tour in Mada , so if you want to ask some appreciate help, please send e-mail in this contact :madasunset@hotmail.com

kozolci

Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

Hi kirispupis

We just returned from a 2 week trip to Madagascar. Please read some of my posts and reviews. I would be happy to answer questions while Madagascar is fresh in my mind. We traveled from Tana south to Tolear. We found lemurs in every park we visited. There was usually 1-2 groups of lemurs in each park. There were plenty of insects too. And I suspect that if you tell your tour guide your specific interests they will point out more of what you are seeking. Our guide was very accomodating. We traveled with Asisten Travel and they cater to English speaking tourists and I found them very easy to work with during the planning stage. Also, I suggest you stay at the luxury accomodations. It is cheap to travel in Madagascar and the little bit more you pay for a nicer hotel is worth it. Happy to help.

Seattle
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

Thank you for your replies. We are also looking into the feasability of southern Africa. Of all of our trips this one looks to be the toughest to decide.

Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

Ten years ago we did a safari in Tanzania. That was truly my trip of a lifetime. I would do Tanzania again before Madagascar. While we enjoyed Madagascar, there was not as much diversity in animal life and from town to town. Good luck deciding.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

I am off to madagascar this year but went to the Pantanal several years ago and for birds it was fabulous. I am not a birder but could become one there. There are monkeys and caymans, anteaters, which we saw. We did not see any Jaguars. I did not spend time looking for insects.

If u are in that area it is a worthwhile trip to Iguassu falls.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

I have not travelled to Madagascar, it is planned for the future, but have been to both Pantanal and Borneo.

IMHO Borneo is the best for insects and monkeys etc. The mountain scenery is spectacular with Mt Kinabalu easily climbed. The mountains have rafflesia (the largest flower in the world) and pitcher plants as well as probiscus monkeys, Orangutans, coral reefs off the coast and jungle stays from Ranau. The jungle has hornbills, elephants and other large mammals. The caves have bats, snakes etc. Butterflies and moths are some of the largest and most beautiful I have seen as well.

All in all a massive diversity that can be seen in a week to 10 days.

Seattle
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

Thank you for all of the responses. After considering all of the destinations we decided to go to Australia as most locations there offer wifi that is necessary for my wife's job and the kids will have more to do.

I will likely push for Borneo for the following year though. :)

9. Re: Photographing in Madagascar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 12:19