We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

Belgium
Level Contributor
319 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

We (4 people) will be in Madagascar by the end of May next year.Would like to rent a car + driver to see the lemurs and baobabs,nature,...Are interested to visit Baobab Alley near Morondava and Tsingy de Bemaraha in combination with Andasibe NP.Is this possible without taking a plane?What should be an ideal itinerary?Where should we overnight between Antananarivo and Morondava taking into account it is 2 days travel?Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

Here is a suggestion:

Day 1: Antananarivo to Andasibe

Day 2: Andasibe

Day 3: Andasibe to Antsirabe

Day 4: Antsirabe to Morondava

Day 5: Morondava to Bekopaka ( Tsingy of Bemaraha)

Day 6: Tsingy Part 1

Day 7: Tsingy Part 2

Day 8: Bekopaka to Morondava

Day 9: Morondava to Antananarivo ( long drive but doable )

You need a good 4x4 to do that itinerary ( Day 5 to Day 8)

Belgium
Level Contributor
319 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

Many thanks for your feedback.Did some extra research and because my wife is a little claustrophobic we want to skip Tsingy and go for another direction.What do you think about the following itinerary? Is it doable or should you change some things?

Day 1 :Antananrivo to Andasibe

Day 2 :Andasibe

Day 3 :Andasibe to Antsirabe

Day 4 :Antsirabe to Ranomafana Rainforest

Day 5:Ranomafana Rainforest

Day 6:Tsaranoro Valley

Day 7:transfer to Isalo NP

Day 8: Isalo NP

Day 9:flight Tulear to Antananarivo

Saint Denis,La...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

Hi

very good itinerary so don't worry and come on ! but on the way to Tsaranoro and Isalo,don't forget to visit Anja reserve,this is a local community-run park just few Km from Ambalavao and I can tell you that you'll love this because of its numerous ring-tailed lemurs.I'm now in Madagascar for a volonteer job but still travelling around before starting job so I also can suggest you to use local tour company like the one that I use is Madagascar Natural Tours(madanaturaltours@gmail.com / www.madagascar-natural-tours.com) they got good 4WD car but for your itinerary you'll need 4WD car only to Tsaranoro valley and through Isalo ntional park .Otherwise,it's always better to be with good 4WD car when travelling in Madagascar.

Cheers

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

Hello, this is doable. Please note that when you do the Tsingy, you do not necessarily have to go in caves so people with claustrophobic issues will be fine.

Belgium
Level Contributor
319 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

What type of car should we rent for the Tana to Tulear trip...we're 4 and don't want to sit to much cramped.This route is on the RN7 so should we really need a 4WD car?

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

You don't really need a 4x4 to drive on the paved RN7. But the transfer to Tsaranoro Valley usually requires a 4x4. Also, to reach some interesting places in Isalo, you may need a 4x4 as well.

If you don't want to be too cramped, some tour operators and rental agencies have some every spacious 4x4 minivans ( Hyundai Starex ) . Don't hesitate to ask if you need help finding some.

Saint Denis,La...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

Hi,

Haja is right ,like me I use this Hyunday Starex 4x4 from Tana to Ifaty and from Ifaty to Morondava I use a jeep (because of this sandy and bumpy road)

My travel agent(Madagascar Natural Tours) said to me that this Starex car is for people more than 4 but as I've got lots of cameras and equipment they gave this to me and it's really comfortable ! So once again I suggest you to get in touch with them.

craig

8. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 13:25
Belgium
Level Contributor
319 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

Thanks again for all this information.It's even getting more difficult to choose which part of the island we have to visit :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 full days in Madagascar end of May - help with intinerary

Hopefully this will help: We went last November and loved it. We are a couple in our early 40's and have travelled a fair bit. Our itinerary was:

Day 1 day in Tana, booked small tour group for the following trip:

Day 2 Tana to Miandrivazo in van with group, stop for lunch in Antsirable (long day)

Day 3,4,5 Miandrivazo to Belo Tsiribhina along the Tsihiribihina river (lots of posts on this)

Day 6,7 4x4 drive to Tsingy (hot,bumpy and slow)

Day 7,8 little Tsingy and Grand Tsingy (lots of lemurs) then start the drive back.

Day 9 see Allee' des Baobobs, then continue to Morondava

Day 9,10 in Morondava

Day 11 fly back to Tana, start drive south to Antsirabe

Day 12 Antsirabe to Ambalavo (see Parc d'Anja, lots of ring tailed lemurs)

Day 13 Go to Parc National Andigintra, trek in the parc and stay overnight

Day 14 Trek out of parc, drive back to Ambalavo

Day 15,16 drive back to Tana

Usually to rent a car, you must have a driver as well. I can put you in touch with our driver who was excellent. To see what you want you really should fly, at least one way. The flight from Tana to Morondava is not that expensive and well worth it. Get your ticket in Madagascar, it is a bit cheaper than the website. The Malagasy are wonderful people, especially when you head out into the country away from the cities and towns. If you want more information feel free to message me. Apologies for the spellings, I don't have time to look them up again.