We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Older women traveling alone

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Older women traveling alone

I really want to see Madagascar (lemurs in particular) while my health holds up, and there are reasons to think somewhat sooner is better than later. My travel agent in the U.S. has arranged a private 10-day tour through a British agency for December 2013 (the time that works best for me but does not seem to be a good time for group tours). I am somewhat reluctant to be all alone, in part because when something goes wrong there is support in numbers even if it just to complain. And sharing experiences is a plus in travel. Has anyone done this? Should I go ahead--would you--or should I hope for the best and think about a later trip?

Many thanks.

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
285 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Older women traveling alone

I m confident it will be perfectly fine to be travelling by yourself since I presume your agent has arranged a private car-driver-guide for you.

I personally met and took care of a number of women traveling solo on a private trip and they did not have any issues. You will have many opportunities to meet other travellers and interact with locals along the way as long as the agent has arranged a well thought trip.

2. Re: Older women traveling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 21:41
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Older women traveling alone

I've been travelling solo for over 30 years. I believe she travels fastest who travels alone. Being alone allows me to take my time at the places that interest me most. I don't feel I must move faster because someone (or a group or bus or car, etc) is waiting. I can take the time I have allocated to enjoy a particular site. This may be especially relevant with the lemurs you want to observe. They do what they want, not necessarily what the visitor wants.

If you have an experienced travel agent, s/he will have done the relevant research for you. Go! As we get older we don't know if/when it will be our last chance to have an adventure. One day I may even get to Madagascar. Travel safely and enjoy yourself.

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
332 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Older women traveling alone

It's up to you: I consider that travelling alone is not a bad choice if you have at least a driver/guide who speaks english well. It makes the tour very flexible and with fun depending to your agent. I prefer not to think that things will go wrong with my Malagasy perception. That's why we call Madagascar, a mora mora destination.

Traveling in a group is first cheaper but waste of time to wait for the others or to leave before you want. Anyway, if most of them are english speakers you will have fun too.

Finally, travel with the circumstance is a good holiday's feeling. Trust to your agent and go!

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
27 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Older women traveling alone

I'd say you should go, m'am. You probably decided already one way or the other by now. December is not bad time, you will see other people (tourists) around. Just curious what your itinerary is for 10 days. Would you share?

6. Re: Older women traveling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:17