We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival - onward ticket actually required?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Visa on arrival - onward ticket actually required?

I am planning a vacation in Madagascar between work jobs in Africa, so my company will pay for my flights there and back. Unfortunately, they will not be booking my return ticket by the time I arrive in Madagascar.

I see in the visa requirements that an onward ticket is required to be admitted into the country. Does anyone know if they actually enforce this? Were you questioned about your return ticket when you arrived? Most countries have this as a requirement, but you can usually say you're taking a bus across the boarder... unfortunately this isn't an option for an island nation.

Is it possible to book a fully refundable ticket with Air Madagascar? Their website was in French, so I had a hard time reading the fine print.

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on arrival - onward ticket actually required?

Officially, your return ticket is required. You can be ask to pay for visa if you don't have it. As far as I know, the air Madagascar ticket is refundable within one year. The only one point is how refundable is it? It will be easier if you call them directly by dialing +261 20 22 510 00 (office in Antananarivo). They are used to be good in English.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on arrival - onward ticket actually required?

thank you very much for your response.

Do you happen to know how much they would charge for a visa without an onward ticket? This might be cheaper than paying airline fees after cancelling a ticket.

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on arrival - onward ticket actually required?

I don't remember the exact amount but it's definitely less than 100 Euros.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on arrival - onward ticket actually required?

Hi, I just got back from Madagascar 2 days ago. They didn't ask me for the ticket at the passport control.

I would suggest you not to bother with Air Madagascar – I had bad experience dealing with them.

Chen

MALDIVES
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on arrival - onward ticket actually required?

Hi, just got back from Madagascar a few days ago. We were asked for return flight details, place of stay and where we were going. The visa was free of charge on entry.

Air Madagascar is a little unreliable, it would be better to call them.....but how trust worthy they are I am not sure?

Our flight got cancelled 3 times in one day, should have departed at 11.30 am, left eventually next morning at 01.40am.

6. Re: Visa on arrival - onward ticket actually required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 06:19