We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female: 1st timer needing input on traveling MidAugust

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female: 1st timer needing input on traveling MidAugust

Hi all!

Solo female traveler first time in Africa.

Thinking of doing a RT from Joburg mid August for 5 or 6 days. Wondering if a RT from Joburg around $900 is the going rate or is that expensive? I always wanted to go to Madagascar and figure I could do it this trip spending 5-6 days there. I wish I could spend more time there but I'm traveling on a 2 week holiday. I'm hoping I'll be able to see a handful of things during those little days. Any suggestions? Mainly want to see culture, the lemurs and other local animals. Is transportation there fairly okay? I'm thinking I would stay in Antananarivo?! I read that August is a good time to go.

Help please :)

Los Angeles...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female: 1st timer needing input on traveling MidAugust

I dropped $600 round trip for my trip in May/June.

Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
163 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female: 1st timer needing input on traveling MidAugust

Hi!

In late Mar/early Apr, 2014, I went solo (female) to Mad for 6 days from Jo'burg.

I paid $850USD for a r/t ticket, South-African Airways, Jo'burg <--> Tana. I inquired to all I encountered & was told since only SAA, Air Mad, & maybe 1 or 2 more carriers service Mad internationally, that's why the prices are high(lack of competition).

I, too, only spent 5 days,but crammed A LOT into those 6 days. Most will tell you "that's not enough," &, in essence, it's true if you wish to see the entire country. I was very satisfied to have done Ave of Baobabs, Kirindy, & Andisabe (w cross-country drive) in 6 days.

Have fun & do it; if you only have 6 days, that's enough to get a wonderful flavor of the country.

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female: 1st timer needing input on traveling MidAugust

5-6 days trip in Madagascar is not enough but you can see some easy accessible site and park. You can fly to see more but the schedule is not often very reliable. It's quite expensive too. You are right, August is good time to go.

4. Re: Solo female: 1st timer needing input on traveling MidAugust

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 05:22