We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nosy Be vs Ile Sainte-Marie

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
834 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Nosy Be vs Ile Sainte-Marie

Can anyone can tell what would be the difference between Nosy Be and Ile Sainte Marie? Both have beaches, but what should I expect to be the major difference?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sainte Marie Lodge
Sainte Marie Lodge
65 Reviews
Nosy Boraha, Madagascar
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nosy Be vs Ile Sainte-Marie

Nosy Be feels much bigger and it's much more populous. The town there, Hell-Ville is a proper town, way bigger than little Ambodifotatra on Ste Marie. Nosy Be feels much more connected to the "mainland", and the boats doing the morning runs don't have to worry so much about the rough seas that can leave Ste Marie quite cut off for several days at a time.

Nosy Be is a real tourist hub, whereas Ste Marie's tourism is much lower key. Nosy Be has nine sacred lakes, acres of former sugar plantations and a mountain peak, whereas Ste Marie is a thin strip, only a few kilometres wide for most of its length, with not much going on except on the sheltered west coast.

Hope that helps as a start!

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
834 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nosy Be vs Ile Sainte-Marie

Many thanks for the information.

From what I read, shall I come to the conclusion that Nosy Be has more things to do than Sainte-Marie?

Mentioned in this post
Sainte Marie Lodge
Sainte Marie Lodge
65 Reviews
Nosy Boraha, Madagascar
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,236 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nosy Be vs Ile Sainte-Marie

In my opinon, Nosy Be is not that attractive BUT you have the other nearby islands. Nosy Komba is very nice.

Midlands
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nosy Be vs Ile Sainte-Marie

Ole Sainte Marie is like being in heaven! Very quiet but plenty to see.

Mentioned in this post
Sainte Marie Lodge
Sainte Marie Lodge
65 Reviews
Nosy Boraha, Madagascar
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
834 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nosy Be vs Ile Sainte-Marie

Many thanks! Anyone has an updated flight schedule between Ste-Marie and Tana on July?

6. Re: Nosy Be vs Ile Sainte-Marie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:16