We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a first time traveller?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Advice for a first time traveller?

Hello,

I am going to be travelling to be travelling to Madagascar 19th August to 7th September, it's my first solo travelling trip (and first travelling trip). I was wondering if anyone else had been on their own and how safe did they feel? Was it easy to join groups for tours?

I'm really keen to take a tour down the Tsiribhina River, onto the Baobabs and the National Park, does anyone have any recommendations of tour guides/operators? Is there anyone else about keen for that kind of adventure?

Any advice?

Kirsty

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a first time traveller?

Madagascar is certainly not the easiest country in the world if you have never travelled anywhere. Do you speak French ? That's a already a major asset.

There aren't many backpackers at the moment.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a first time traveller?

My French is passable, I'm hoping I will get back into the swing of it as I hear it more often again. Have you been recently and didn't see many backpackers?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a first time traveller?

Due to serious political and security problems in 2013, there are few tourists in Madagascar in 2014. I was there in June. I didn't notice anything abnormal.

Fort Dauphin...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
456 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a first time traveller?

Unlike a lot of destinations, Madagascar doesn't really have an established independent travel network inside the country, like, there aren't really any hostels or meeting places where you can go and hang out and look for others to join you on tours, etc. I would highly recommend using the search function in this forum to look for recommendations for tour operators (there are many)... Also, the limitations placed by TA on people self promoting (which is a good thing) means that it is difficult for operators to respond directly to your request for information so once you find some interesting recommendations, you need to be proactive and contact the operators outside of TA.

Solana Beach, San...
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a first time traveller?

Yes agree with what was said before by Brett and all. You have picked a really hard first time traveler destination. Good luck and have fun.

John Spence - Owner - Aardvark Safaris

6. Re: Advice for a first time traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:16