We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days Nosy Be? Suggestions please!

south africa
Level Contributor
237 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
12 days Nosy Be? Suggestions please!

We have booked to be in Nosy Be for 12 days - I,m wondering if I should do some changes? What trips should I do from there? Thinking maybe we should split our time and do River trip and boabab from Tanna. Just don't want to spend too much time travelling?

Any suggestions?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 days Nosy Be? Suggestions please!

My mom runs a Guest House on Nosy Komba, in Madgascar and I've just been to visit her, so can recommend loads of great activities in the area. It's really not necessary to travel too far from Nosy Be to see some of the best wildlife and scenery that Madagascar has to offer.

We spent one day sightseeing around Nosy Be island - for a very reasonable price you can hire a local taxi driver and get to see a number of sights in one day. As part of your tour I can highly recommend a trip up Mount Passot to see the majestic crater lakes, and get a fantastic view of the island. They've recently done a lot of work upgrading the area, so the roads up the mountain are much smoother, and there's a great new lookout. From there we drove to the "Sacred Tree" which is this ancient (and massive) baobab tree where locals take gifts for the gods and pray. At first appearance it's nothing too impressive, but there is a pretty special vibe about the place and a great way to get experience a more spiritual side of Malagasy culture. In Hell-Ville itself I'd highly recommend a walk through the main market in the town centre, and a pizza at a great expat place called Nandipho's. For a more upmarket meal you can check out Papillon who make great Italian food. On the island there is also the fantastic Ylang Ylang Distillery which also has a small zoo where you can see local lemurs, chameleons and tortoises etc.

If you're looking for a great night out then I can highly recommend Ambatolaoka - they've recently closed off the main road in the evenings which turns the main road into a bit of a party strip. We had an awesome meal there, and then headed to Taxi Ba for some serious rums and great live music.

Then, of course, I can highly recommend a trip out to Nosy Komba. The village of Ampangorina is really lovely for shopping and food. Most of the restaurants are situated on the beach with great, freshly sourced seafood and refreshing caparinhas. For meals I'd recommend Bar la Plage, Maki Lodge and Chez Madame Medio. There is also a little zoo on the island where you can interact with the indigenous Macaco lemurs - a very special experience.

If you're up for some serious walking, one of the best hikes I've ever done is through the Nosy Komba jungle with Madame Yvonne, who is approximately 70 years old and lives in the village of Ampangorina. She takes you right up to the top of the island where you can have a meal with the local villagers, and along the way shares all her knowledge of local flora and fauna.

In terms of snorkeling there are fantastic spots all around the island of Nosy Komba, or you can do a trip out to the Nosy Tanikiley which is a wonderful reserve with the most exquisite tropical sealife. A trip to this island is something that needs to be timed well though as it can become overrun with tourists on certain days. This is the only time that we've encountered this problem though, especially on Nosy Komba. In fact, if you're looking to really get away I'd recommend a few nights on Nosy Komba itself - it's very peaceful and there's enough to see and do out there to keep you entertained for a few days. Of course I'd recommend my mom's place - she's from South Africa so you can expect warm hospitality, and great food. :)

Have an awesome trip. Madagascar is such a beautiful place.

2. Re: 12 days Nosy Be? Suggestions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 14:31
3. Re: 12 days Nosy Be? Suggestions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:17