We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Tana to Perinet Rain Forest

Which Antananarivo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Tana to Perinet Rain Forest

Hi there, we need some advice on travelling from Tana to perinet Rain Forest:

1. I'v read it's 3 hour travel east from Tana. How do we go about this?

Txs

Gerda

1. Re: Travelling from Tana to Perinet Rain Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 15:29
Port-louis
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Tana to Perinet Rain Forest

I am not sure if it's a bit late for this reply.

I travelled from Tana to Perinet one week-end in November. It was cheap and easier than I expected.

You need to first take taxi-brousse (van) to Moramanga from Ampasampito taxi brousse station. Takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. There are regular taxi-brousse to Moramanga so you won't have to wait long. I suggest you start early maybe around 7 pm.

When you reach Moramanga taxi-brousse station, you'll need to take the bus to Andasibe - it's in the same station, just ask people there. They depart when full and it's about every hour. Trip takes about one hour as the bus makes many stops.

From RN2, it will make its way North, so you will pass Hotal Feony Ala, then Parc National de Mantandia, Hotel Buffet de la Gare, the old train station in that order. the bus then continues on to the post-office, church and centre of Andasibe village. You'll have to say when you want to get down.

For the return journey, you can catch the bus from the village or wait near the old train station if you are staying near there (which I did) or stop the bus anywhere along its route I think. Then in Moramanga you can take the taxi-brousse back to Tana or to Tamatave depending on where you are going next.

Without your own transport, it's difficult to visit Matandia futher north from the village.

When I reached Moramanga, the bus for Andasibe was about to depart as it was full and they wanted me to take a place in another (empty) bus. i insisted a bit and they found a place to squeeze me in the departing bus!

It was my first experience taking public transport in Madagascar and I was travelling alone. I look like a foreigner in Madagascar and I was a bit scared. The few expats I talked to about my plans just encouraged me and didn't mention safety issues. I have to say I did not feel threatened at any time during the whole trip to and stay in Andasibe.

2) Another way is taking the taxi-brousse from Tana (a different taxi-brousse station) to Tamatave, and ask to be dropped on the RN2 at the turn off to the park, and either walk the rest or wait for the Moramanga-Andasibe bus.

3. Re: Travelling from Tana to Perinet Rain Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Antananarivo