We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

I have booked a 16 day Holiday in September this year, with two,one night stays, in the Capitol...How safe is it to visit, Have booked through a reputable english company, with all Hotels pre- bbooked.

1. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 15:29
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

Thanks for replying, life's too short not to take risks!!!!!Have heard its too good to miss anyway.....

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

Thanks for your interest in our country. We do hope things will calm in september, but so far we are in the middle of a crisis and it hurts to say that Antananarivo is not a safe place to be as of today (it hurts to say it as I am promoting Madagascar as a tourism destination on www.madafan.com, but that's the truth). Going to the coast seems to be calm though.

Mentioned in this post
Antananarivo
Antananarivo
Antananarivo Province, Madagascar
Antananarivo
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

Hi Withies,

As you have booked a trip with an English company, for sure they will check out the situation and take their precosions if the situation is still unstable in September. For now, it's better to avoid the centrum of the capital, Antananarivo, as their are demonstrations every day.

Enjoy Madagascar, It's beautiful!

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Antananarivo
Antananarivo
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

Thanks for taking time to reply, we are hoping things will calm down by September as we are keen to come.....lets hope common sense prevails...

Best wishes

Lindsey

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

I spent the last 2 weeks of April travelling from the capital to Southern Madagascar and back. I was travelling alone on a motorbike and never once felt in any sort of danger. Madagascar is a spectacular country with very friendly and welcoming people. With tourist numbers way down, now is a great time to visit.

Mentioned in this post
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

Thanks for taking time to answer, and glad you had a good time, really looking forward to the trip.....

uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

Hi, I'm in a similar position to WITHIES with my honeymoon planned for October... does anyone know what the situation is like now? I noticed that the last update to this post was mid may so am hoping the problems in Tana have calmed down now? The only info i can get from the government website is not to go to the capital and, of course, the travel agent is keen for us to keep our booking however i only plan to have one honeymoon! Can someone please advise?

Antananarivo
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

Hi,

Half of March the new government (HAT) took over the power from Marc Ravalomanana. Since then it is very calm in the country. Even in the capital, Antananarivo, and it is save to travel.

During the whole situation of the power struggle it was also still save to come to Madagascar, but it was advised not to travel by Ministries of foreign affairs.

Please come on your honeymoon, because Madagascar is great!

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Antananarivo
Antananarivo
uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madagascar.....how safe to visit....

Thanks for the response - i really want to come so thought this would be the best place as any to find out from others the true situation! :)

Get answers to your questions about Antananarivo