We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours by local organisations

England
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tours by local organisations

We are considering a tour either by Za tours or Island Continent tours.

Does anyone have experience of using either of these organisations?

Has anyone booked a local tour before arriving in Madagascar and needed to pay a deposit? I understand Credit Cards can only be used if you are there in person. Can anyone suggest a safer way of paying than a bank transfer?

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tours by local organisations

My husband and I just returned from 8 days in Madagascar. We had a guide from ZA Tours and he was great. I would not hesitate to recommend the company. Madagascar is a fascinating country and the people are the true treasure. I can also highly recommend La Croix du Sud in Fort Dauphin, Le Pavillion d L'Emyrne in Tana and Berenty Reserve and Vakona Forest Lodge for accommodations,

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tours by local organisations

Taking a local tour guide is working with local manner : Mostly, agency ask to pay /to wire the entire amount when you confirm while local tour guide will ask for a small amount of 50Euros or 100USD for cushion. At your arrival, you will meet at the airport and make a contract at your hotel the day after. Before the departure, you will be invited to pay 80% including the cushion. You pay the remaining 20% at the end of the trip. It is safer.

You may ask how would you do to travel with cash? - No! Local tours doesn't take in charge your international flight. You travel with a very small amount that they charge you. You can hide it well as the currency is in Euro or USD with "big banknote" ex. 50, 100 or 500, etc.

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tours by local organisations

In order to prevent issues or falling in the trap of rogue guides, it is very advisable to book the services of a guide through a professional and liable tour operator.

Tour guides are not allowed by law to sell tours. You may only book a tour from an accredited tour operator. More details can be found here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293808-c192064/Madag…

14. Re: Tours by local organisations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:21