We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

connecting flights

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
connecting flights

I'm planning a trip to Madagascar, travelling from Melbourne via Mauritius. Trying to sort out the return journey. The flight from Madagascar arrives in Mauritius at 7.40pm. The flight from Mauritius to Melbourne leaves at 8.50pm. What do you reckon, is that cutting it a bit fine between connecting flights? I'm open to advice

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: connecting flights

Are both legs on the same ticket ? Do you have flexibility ( can you afford to miss a flight on the next day ? )

If they are on the same ticket ( same airline ), it means it's a valid connection so if you miss the connection, the airline is responsible to get you on the next flight ( maybe with a free hotel night stay , etc...).

In any case, I always try to give myself at least 2 hours between flights so I don't need to have a mandatory cross training between airport terminals.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: connecting flights

thanks for your input, Haja. All flights are through the same airline. However, it's been decided that 1hr 10min between flights really doesn't allow for any hiccups along the way. One small delay in Madagascar could create a bit of a domino effect for the rest of the trip home. Now spending a night in Mauritius on the way out and the way in. Which will be more fun anyway!

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: connecting flights

Great choice.

Madagascar
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
633 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: connecting flights

It sounds like you are pretty well organised, but if you haven't booked anything yet, and since you will just be in Mauritius for one night, and you are arriving after dark so sightseeing isn't possible, I highly recommend that you book somewhere nearby at Mahebourg, just ten minutes from the airport, rather than driving across the island to Port Louis or one of the distant beaches. I have done the trip between Madagascar and Australia about a gazillion times and Mahebourg is perfect for overnight stays. Plenty of hotels around and if you search you can find some budget spots too.

5. Re: connecting flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 07:17