We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

second hand 4by4

manchester
11 posts
Save Topic
second hand 4by4

hi

i know this might be an unusual question but my boyfriend is going to malawi with a friend for a month or so in april or may. they were hoping to maybe buy a second hand 4by4 or something similar to travel about. has any one done this or have any advise on how to go about it.

many thanks gill

Majete Wildlife Reserve
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks, State Parks, Bodies of Water, Off-Road & ATV Trails
Lilongwe Wildlife Centre
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: second hand 4by4

For that period of time, I doubt if it would be worth it. Time to find it, check it out, register it, and then you will need to sell it at the end which can be time consuming. A month goes by quickly. And if you have vehicle problems. There goes the month.

Unless one is sitting there, in good mechanical condition, kitted out, when they arrive and they will have assistance through the process, I would say rent.

manchester
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: second hand 4by4

hi thanks for your reply i can see where you are coming from.however it is meant to be very expensive to hire over there isnt it.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: second hand 4by4

Consider the time looking, having it checked out, doing repairs, improvements, paying for a place to stay, transportation,registration, license, roadworthy(and whatever else Malawi requires) and you haven't driven the thing out of town. Then it may breakdown and you need repairs because you were in a hurry to see the sights, and did not do a proper job to it. You still haven't seen much of the country. Remember, for the price you most likely will be buying at( you didn't ask about insurance, so I know you will be bottom feeding), you are getting what you paid for. Then when you decide to leave the country, the sale of the vehicle will actually be making the decision for you.

I advocate buying 2nd hand 4x4 and touring, but the expense in this short time period and the limited amount of time you have doesn't make it worthwhile.

Unless that one vehicle is sitting there, ready to go, and your seller will assist in the process, skilled mechanic to go over it and bring it up to speed, forget it. Then in order not to get stuck in Malawi when ready to leave, dump the price slightly to get a fast sale. Don't get greedy. Just be smart.

I suggest if you want to continue looking after all this, try advertising that you want a vehicle in a certain price range. Normally I would refer you to my website for places to look, but I don't have any leads there. I believe Land Rover has a dealer in Lilongwe still and have a few 2nd hand ones for sale. Try emailing them for help. I was there years a go, and they were fine for repairs and parts. But your best bet for something quick is in South Africa. I can suggest a lot of places there.

manchester
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: second hand 4by4

hi thanks again for reply. i fully understand what you say. however it isnt me who is going it is 2 stubborn men who have got this idea in there head.and have got me doing all the sorting out. they said do you have or do you know the email address for the land rover dealer in llongwe and could you also give them the links you have for south africa if you wouldnt mind please.they have took on board what you have said but would like to give it their best shot.

thanks again gill

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: second hand 4by4

They'll need to google that Malawi address and here is SA info : http://tinyurl.com/344e26

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: second hand 4by4

Amazing. Came across this while looking at something else.

City Motors Ltd Malawi Po Box 30012

Chichiri

Blantyre 3

Malawi

Phone: 00 265 1 670377

Fax: 00 265 1 670503

http://www.citymotors.co.mw/

manchester
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: second hand 4by4

aw thank but they all brand new way out of their budget but thanks for your time

gill

manchester
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: second hand 4by4

hi again do you by any chance know the cheapest price to hire a suitable vehicle for about a month

thanks gill

The_Netherlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: second hand 4by4

Hai,

First time I visit this forum. Do still looking for a 4x4. I rented a Landrover last year for 3 weeks in Blantyre. The rate was great. Let me know if you still looking, i'll bring you in contact with the owners. They got several Landrovers for rent.

Greetings André

www.photo-andre.nl

manchester
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: second hand 4by4

hi thanks for reply. yes we are still looking could you please let me know the details of the contact. how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking

cheers gill