We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is malawi for me

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
is malawi for me

want a cool holiday destination have two weeks have already been to kenya and didnt really see much of the true countryside is it easy to get off the beaten track here and safe to do so

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is malawi for me

Hi, absolutely, Malawi is the safest place in Africa, the people are the most friendly, Not touristy like Kenya, Obviously you take sensible precautions, dont do things you woudnt do at home. Are you thinking self drive or backpack? Lonely Planet gives good advice, although some things are out of date, as things change all the time. Outside the main cities, even the regional centres are still country. If you travel the lakeshore you find all you could want. Plenty of main bus routes, and mini bus services. The parks are completely unspoiled, in some of them you could well find yourself the only one there!

Ivan

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is malawi for me

Am planning a trip there for 2010. I grew up in Malawi but havent been back for 25 years or so. As long as you like very laid back and want to see the real Africa you shouldn't be disappointed. It appears that there are plenty of low budget holidays and would recommend seeing the lake, Zomba Plateau and Liwonde National Park. A day trip to Mulanje and the tea estates is well worth the trip! If you go have a great time!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is malawi for me

I would highly recommend Malawi -as Ivan says, the safest country in Africa, and it's probably easier to get off the beaten track than get on it.

I spent a good part of my childhood there, and finally made it back last Christmas - after 32 years. Very pleasantly surprised with the way it's managed to survive over the years, wish we could have stayed longer than the two weeks we had.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is malawi for me

We spent two weeks over Easter in Malawi and had the most fabulous time. If you want a place that is almost untouched by tourism, then this is the place for you. As others have said, it is a friendly and safe place to visit. However, a tip is not to drive after dark (around 6 p.m.) as the roads can be very hazardous. However, that apart, go for it!

Highlights have got to be Cape Maclear (especially Chembe Eagles Nest), the Zomba Plateau, Liwonde National Park (Mvuu if you are camping or Mvuu Lodge if you have very deep pockets), otherwise stay at Chinguni Lodge http://www.chinguni.com/index.htm - cheap, cheerful but no electricity and v basic. Majete is great and a trip to Mulanje has just got to be on your agenda. If you want to see wildlife, we saw lots at Liwonde, Majete and Nyala Park. If you just want some R&R, I believe a stay on a tea plantation near Mulanje fits that bill (Mr Ivan may know of a place).

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is malawi for me

Hi, thanks for your post, pleased that you had a great time.

A liitle info would be appreciated, to help keep up to date. How did you get there? did you self drive? who with and cost?

Ivan

6. Re: is malawi for me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 04:30