We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

euro's, usd, local money Tanzania Malawi Botswana Zambia SA

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
euro's, usd, local money Tanzania Malawi Botswana Zambia SA

This August we make a safari from Tanzania through Malawi Botswana Zambia and South Africa in 23 days. Since we visit all countries only for a few days I don't want money in 5 different currencies at the end of our trip. We can bring USD or Euro's. We go with a group so most is allready paid. The only thing we need is some dinners/lunches and things like a bottle of water. What would you recommend us to do money wise? Bringing a lot of USD or Euros? Are they accepted in most shops and restaurants? Or do we have to exchange them for the local currency, and if so, do they use reasonable exchange rates?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: euro's, usd, local money Tanzania Malawi Botswana Zambia SA

I would definitely go for USD over Euros, and make sure you get some small denominations. If you're doing an overland trip rather than visiting luxury lodges I think it would be an advantage to get some local currency, especially if you're buying things like water etc as you mentioned. Rates depend on where you change the money- some more reasonable than others. It's very easy to change in major banks in the cities though. Tempting though the rates can be, I'd avoid changing money on the street. It is a very easy way to get conned.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

2. Re: euro's, usd, local money Tanzania Malawi Botswana Zambia SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:15