We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Bamako?

Nairobi
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Bamako?

Hi. I'm making my first trip to Bamako next month and am curious as to what folks recommend to do ... good restaurants, music, sites, etc. Any reoommendations?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Bamako?

Hi Ravi,

Are you only staying for a short time in Bamako or are you going to visit other places as well?

I could send you addresses etc. of restaurants, nighclubs, sites etc.

Have a nice weekend,

Taamala

Nairobi
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Bamako?

Hi Tamaala,

Yes, please do post the info! I'm in Bamako from today until Wednesday, and look forward to trying something new.

I've heard of a few good places to eat ... Akwaba, Sukhothai and Espace Bunia. Is there any live music/Kora concert?

Thanks,

Ravi

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Bamako?

Hi Ravi,

Well, to enjoy your time up to Wednesday at least:

The nightclubs start usually at 11 pm or later and you have to pay a fee

One of the latest arrival is Le Privilège at Badalabougou, but I’ve not been there yet.

Then there are:

-Blabla and Byblos, at Route de Koulikoro, Badalabougou; good music.

-Cheval Blanc in Torokorobougou; I think I went to this one as well: but I’m not sure of the name. It’s on open-air club and a roof area. Good music, young musicians.

-Élysée ; on the old road to Kati; Lobi Traore performs here often.

- Le Hogon; at Tomikorobougou. On Fridays Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra performs here and sometimes Toumani Diabate himself.

- Wassulu Hôtel Résidence, on route to the airport. It is owned by Oumou Sangaré and she performs often on Saturdays. They serve good food as well.

- Hippo d”Or,-Ibiza and Starnight at the Hippodrome area; nice places to enjoy live-music.

Many streets in Bamako do not have names, but taxi drivers usually know how to find the hot spots.

As far as the Koro-concert is concerned: you have to ask someone; maybe they can help you at the French Arts Centre (CCF).

There are many restaurants in Bamako; it has many Lebanese and Chinese restaurants, of which Le Relax is a popular one and is situated Hippodrome-area.

Broadway is a Western style restaurant where “ancient ”Malian music is/was played. The food was okay though.

San Toro is a restaurant serving traditional Malian food and drink - no alcohol, but many lovely seasonal fruit based drinks. The food is good.

And at Badalabougou area is a snackbar called Amadine.

Sites to see in Bamako:

the Pink Market, a large and lively market, not far from the Place de Republique;

interesting as well are: the market of the fetishes and the medicine market.

the Great Mosque; easily recognised by its minarets;

the National Museum, at the foot of the Koulouba mountain. In the museum are permanent exhibitions of traditional, Malian and modern art. The Museum Kundo, it is the only museum dedicated to the women of Mali.

the Art Centre, where many artisans are making their goods.

Point G, from this viewpoint you have a wonderful look out over the city.

The Grottos, in these mountains they found some amazing prehistoric rock drawings.

Hope you will have a good time in Bamako

Taamala

Nairobi
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Bamako?

Thanks much, Tamaala! I'll check these out. I just stopped at Bla-bla, which was ok on a Sunday night. No live music, but the dj was very accomodating.

Cheers,

Ravi

5. Re: What to do in Bamako?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Bamako
Recent Conversations