We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

Hello,

I am visiting Mali for a short visit of ~1 week. During this brief visit, I would like to cover Timbuktu, Dogon area and Djenne.

I am traveling by myself and wanted to know if there are some trusted & affordable tour operator/companies that cater to solo travlers.

Would appreciate a reply.

Amsterdam
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

Hi, contact ambassagou. They give good advice and have nice trips for really reasonable prices.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

Hello!

I am travelling to Mali too because of my work. I am working in France and recently Mali has become a dangerous place because of the killing of a french hostage a couple of days ago in the north of Mali. Could you please advice if it is dangerous? is it safe for a girl to go there? Thanks!

Amsterdam
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

Hi,

It is no problem to go to Mali. Because I think you are not going to the north at all. Please look at the map and you will see that Timboctou isn't the north. For me as a woman it was never a problem travveling in Mali. Ambassagou is a good place to arrive in Bamako/Mali . They can also take care of a transfer. Have a good time!

Brisbane Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

Doug and I were in all 3 areas in Feb 2010. Were with Toguna Tours. Karen (an American lady ), based in Mali, operates these tours and our tour guide came from Dogon area. Timbuktu was magic - we flew from Bamako and drove back to Mopti to join the main tour, which was a 5 country Peregrine Australia tour, organised by Toguna Tours. Had been a kidnapping and Goa was an advised no go zone, but visiting the Tureg encampment out from Timbuktu was something we will always treasure.

Are happy to give any help and info if you wish to write to us drlovett@bigpond.com Regards Roslyn Lovett

Bamako, Mali
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

Hello

I am in position and available to organise an affordable tour for you.I am a graduate of university of tourism and guiding.i am skillful and experienced.I am young man ; my name is Daouda konate.

I am sure you will enjoy my services.I am at your full disposal for further in formation do not hesitate to ask me.

email dovetour@hotmail.fr

pleasure to read you soon

Moab, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

Your itinerary seems a little tight on time. But, it may be possible. I was in Mali a few years back and hired a local guide who did everything for me for a very reasonable rate. As a solo traveler, and backpacker, I could not afford to take a fancy trip. Aly arranged everything for me...hotels, transportation, tours, etc. He has a website at http://www.maliwithaly.com/

Vancouver, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

Having a guide organize the logistics and provide you with some information about the history and culture is the best way to get the most out of your experience. If you want that flexibility, I have a friend in Mali who can help you. His name is Boubacar Dicko aka Jimmy, his contact information is on his website www.exploremali.com Have a wonderful time, I loved it there - the Malians are amazing people.

8. Re: Mali (Djenne, Timbuktu & Dogon) Tour in a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bamako
Recent Conversations