We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying jewelry in Bamako

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Buying jewelry in Bamako

Hi I am

looking for a good address to purchase nice high quality tuareg jewelry in Bamako.

Also a good restaurant

and what to do in one afternoon in terms of tourism.

Thank you!!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying jewelry in Bamako

While I did not get a response on my posting, I wanted to complement it with I did find out while I was there!

For tuareg jewellry go to the Azalai Grand Hotel there is tuareg who brings his jewellry there. Quite nice and reasonable prices but you must negotiate.

For lovely gold pieces and especially a unique gold tuareg piece go to Sanou Boutique in Niarela cell phone (223) 66799797, www.mamabeye.com

these are hard to find addresses and you will need a seasoned taxi driver to know how to get there!

Good luck and happy shopping

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
973 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying jewelry in Bamako

Thanks for reporting back!

Did you feel safe in Mali? The US State Department has a "warning" again travel to Mali and we are planning a trip for January, 2012. Now I am hesitating.......

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying jewelry in Bamako

Hi

I was always being driven around by a trustworthy taxi driver and I would recommend you do the same. The streets are busy busy and full of people but I did not feel threatened at any moment and I have lived in AFrica for 11 years!

The crowds are overwhelming and if you are not used to the closeness it can feel threatening. The Malians are very polite and they always ask if you are alright and having a good time - it is a polite formula and before asking for anything pls remember to ask how they are first!

Definitely find a reliable taxi driver and don't go anywhere without him.

We went in search of jewelry places to the most unlikely corners and it was very reassuring to know you had someone trustworthy with you.

If you want the name of our taxi driver let me know.

good luck and happy stay

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying jewelry in Bamako

to complement what I said before and having the read the advisory, my take on it is to follow the advice. I did not travel outside of Bamako, but the description of rivalries and kidnapping are quite serious and westerners especially US nationals are easy targets.

Be safe!

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
973 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying jewelry in Bamako

Thank you SO much for your response. My husband and I will be with a tour group----"Adventures Abroad" (a US company) and will be traveling to Timbuktu as part of a visit to Senegal, Mali, and Burkina Faso. I am seriously considering cancelling!!

Jane

Bankass
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying jewelry in Bamako

be carefull you can came here but i am sure wuth us guide association named bandia in bankass never ever got problem of all said on our country be cause we know where we must put our foot i am sure if you ask lonely planet traveller book copy right in U.S.A they will comfirm our perfomancy The south is secury you welcome in mali we know good traveller agency wich go in the north with American without any problem because we know where put ours knee and feet

babakouressi@yahoo.fr

mobil 00223 77522663

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying jewelry in Bamako

I just signed in on this app. I probably could've helped a lot. Let me know if you are in need of anything else. People who sell things at hotels buy it themselves in the market. Even though it's less crowded and cleaner, you have a bigger range of choice and better prices in the market!

Also concerning the security part, Bamako is safe! The places where strangers should probably not go to are the areas in the north of the country.

Edited: 06 December 2011, 08:51
8. Re: Buying jewelry in Bamako

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:41
Get answers to your questions about Bamako
Recent Conversations