We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jabs and Vaccinations for MALI

Which Bamako hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Jabs and Vaccinations for MALI

Hi I'm travelling to Mali for an engineering project and was wondering what vaccinations or jabs I need to get. I rang my local travel clinic and they've given me a shopping list of vaccinations, which are going to end up costing over £500 all together. I know I need certification for a Yellow Fever jab, but what else should I get?

I'd very much appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Madrid, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jabs and Vaccinations for MALI

A yellow fever vaccination is obligatory. Vaccinations against typhoid fever, hepatitis A and B, and tetanus are highly recommended.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jabs and Vaccinations for MALI

Thank you Cis.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jabs and Vaccinations for MALI

The shots are expensive, but worth it.

And don't forget your malaria tablets, doxoyclyine is good, but you have to be careful of the sun. Drink bottled water always and take antiseptic handwash and use it before eating and you will be fine. We have been to Mali three times and never got sick (except a cold).

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jabs and Vaccinations for MALI

I'm getting my Yellow Fever on Friday, and am currently halfway through the course for Hep A& B and also Typhoid. And I do plan on drinking just bottled water, but regarding the antiseptic handwash I'm planning to be there for 3 months. I'm going to need alot of it if I do end up taking it.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Jabs and Vaccinations for MALI

I agree with Cis on the vaccinations. The travel clinic will suggest a whole host of injections you should take. They will also suggest the anti-malarial meds, which have a bunch of side effects that I don't particularly care for and therefore I passed on the pills. However, long sleeves, long pants in the evening and mosquito repellant and netting to sleep in are a must. Bottled water for sure for drinking and brushing your teeth. No drinks with ice. I'd be careful about salads, too. Enjoy.....I went a few years ago and I'm going back in June!

6. Re: Jabs and Vaccinations for MALI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bamako