We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

Essex
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

Hi,

I am staying at the Pingouinvillas in Blue Bay Mauritius next May as my sister is getting married.

Can you tell me if there is anything to do in the evenings? Also, are there places to get food from close by?

And one last thing.................restaurants, are there many around and if so, roughly what is the cost to eat out here and more importantly DRINK !!

Any other comments on the area would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Pingouinvillas
Pingouinvillas
239 Reviews
Mauritius
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
Escale Creole
££ - £££, Cajun & Creole
La Table du Chateau
££££, Seafood, French, Cajun & Creole
At Linda's Place
££ - £££, Cajun & Creole, International
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,493 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

Nearest town is Mahebourg which is not at all tourist orientated with very little to do and poor grocery shopping relative to the rest of the island, ie. no supermarkets. When we self catered here we used to drive up to Phoenix to the big supermarket, as choice was limited in the local shops. Still, you can get basics.

No bars really, and no nightclubs.

Restaurants limited, so best stick to hotels; same for bars.

It really is just a local town.

Blue Bay is very nice though, for a beach holiday.

Best wishes

Bronia

Mentioned in this post
Mahebourg
Mahebourg
Mauritius
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
London
Level Contributor
184 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

I am staying in Mahebourg in Sept 07 and self catering too, there doesn't seem to be much information for this area from anyone , I received the same info you have from Bronia .

After quite a bit of investigation I have found details of places to eat and drink etc, also the person who I have rented my apartment from also says there are places to eat locally.

On my return I will write a report and hopefully be able to give a first hand report on names of places I recommend and prices etc

Mentioned in this post
Mahebourg
Mahebourg
Mauritius
Essex
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

Thanks for that, look forward to hearing your report.

have a wonderful time.

London
Level Contributor
184 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

Sorry for the delay in the report, you what it is like when you get back from a holiday with catching up.

Firstly we enjoyed our holiday and weather on the whole was very good, (one day of rain and that was the day after the earthquake in Sumatra and the island was on Tsumnami watch for 1 day but there was no problems at all just rain!!)

Bronia is right in that there is not much to do in the evenings not like Thailand where you can walk around the shops and markets to late at night popping into bars etc.

Blue Bay is lovely but just villas and a hotel, however we did eat at a lovely restaurant called "Cafe Creole" a few times, it is on the coast road to Blue Bay and I think near our villa. It was a nice restauranthotel and had a good variety on the menu, pizzas were great and only cost about £4.50 for the most expensive, mauritain curries nice and the fish very good( the white tuna dish is to die for)

We usually had a round of drinks, bottle of nice red wine(french or SA) and two course meal for two people usually came to about £35 which we thought was good value.

We did eat at the Bourgenvilla restaurant in Blue Bay by the beach it was ok but nothing special OK for lunch when you are at the beach.

The Gondala restaurant on the same coast road nearer to Mahebourg was also one of our favourties ( it had more of an italian menu) they had a singer and the same meal as detailed above was £35 to £40 for two people.

In Mahebourg on the front the Coptain D'abord was also very nice same sort of price as the Gondola.

For all these restaurants what was nice was if you asked for a taxi to take you home they actually do it their selves ( probably because transport is not great at night , no buses and you have to ring a taxi) The Cafe Creole used to pick us up aswell ( all this at no charge but we always tipped about 100 rupees which they always appreciate.)

Hope this is of help let me know if you want to know anything else.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
Mahebourg
Mahebourg
Mauritius
Mauritius
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

Some ideas...

-The markets held along the Mahebourg foreshore on Monday are fun for a browse. They are usually relatively cool with a sea breeze and are in full swing between 10ish and 2ish.

-There are some great shops in Mahebourg they're just a bit tricky to find. As you wander around keep a look out for sari shops, they are beautiful to look in.

-Have lunch at Pyramide, which is situated on the main road going into Mahebourg from Blue Bay, near the fruit and veg market. The schwarmas are amazing and cheap but get in early if you go on market day.

-There are supermarkets with a good variety in Mahebourg. The biggest is Kong.

-Book a catamaran tour. They leave from near Le Preskil and go down to ile aux cerfs for the day.

-Try and go to a nearby resort like Le Preskil or Shandrani for breakfast or lunch and a swim for a change of scenery. Ring in advance.

-Alcohol is really cheap from the supermarkets. Buy a whole lot (and some glasses from the Glass Factory in Phoenix) and have fun making cocktails on the beach.

Other parts of the island...

Shopping-Curepipe, Quatre Bournes (market Thursday morning and Sunday) and Port Louis.

Nightlife-Grand Bay

Have fun :)

Mentioned in this post
Mahebourg
Mahebourg
Mauritius
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
Preskil Beach Resort
Preskil Beach Resort
2,666 Reviews
Mauritius
Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Shandrani Beachcomber...
2,686 Reviews
Mauritius
Curepipe
Curepipe
Mauritius
Port Louis
Port Louis
Mauritius
Grand Bay Suites
Grand Bay Suites
223 Reviews
Mauritius
Essex
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

Thanks for your replies, that is very helpful. I dont suppose any of you know if there is anything for children to do !!! I know they will have a fantastic time on the beach during the day, but come the evening is everything catered purely towards adults? Is it only the hotels with kids entertainment?

My children will be 4 years old and 20 months old. If there is no-where within Blue Bay, do you know anywhere we could go to?

Thanks very much

Mentioned in this post
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
7. Re: Eating and Drinking in Blue Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 12:18