We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

types of money you need

london
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
types of money you need

Hi was wondering what different types of money to take to mauritius as the hotels seem to take euros quite strange that obviously mauritian ruppees but the travel agent said she takes american dollars is that right and if thats the case could you some times pay in british money any imformation please

thanks

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: types of money you need

we used mauritian rupees, and if you use the ATMs they give you mauritian rupees.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,043 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: types of money you need

As Devonian says, Mauritian rupees. US$ useless. Also GBP useless.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
206 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: types of money you need

use mauritian ruppees and avoid to change value at the hotel, change money at the airport

paying in other values will let you waste some money due to the high conversion rate most hotels apply

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: types of money you need

If you are thinking of taking a credit or debit card to withdraw money from the bank, get a nationwide one as they do not charge you any fees for purchases on it only cash if it is a credit card but with the nationwide debit card they do not charge you at all.

london
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: types of money you need

thanks for the imfo obviously the travel agent was wrong saying that she paid taxis etc in us dollars can you order ruppes in england at travel agents or have you got to get them in mauritius

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,043 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: types of money you need

You can get them commission free at Marks but its much better to get them in arrivals hall in Mauritius, as better rate.

Rupee has revalued against all major currencies past year, and wheras last year you could get 64 to one pound sterling, this year its only around 50/51 :(

So get them in Mauritius arrivals; Marks rate is bad!

Bronia

london
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: types of money you need

hi bronia sorry to sound stupid but you says marks is that a travel agency or bank i havent heard of marks sorry could you explain cheers

gunnerb

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,043 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: types of money you need

I'm sorry! I meant Marks and Spencer Foreign Exchange! Apologies!

Bronia :)

london
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: types of money you need

thanks bronia i didnt know they sold currency my cousin works as a manager in m&s will have to ask her and i might get a better deal

cheers

gunnerb

Drogheda
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: types of money you need

hi there,

keep your money...wait till you get at Mauritius airport...after you pass the immigration, look for Shibani Exhange... they usually have the best rate...

Don't change your money in UK or elsewhere,you won't get a good rate...

cheers,

kevish.