We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

herts,england
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

Can't decide where for our august honeymoon next year Mauritius or Bali can anyone help???

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

I'd say Bali.

Mauritius has the better beaches and on the (very) high end of hotels, probably the better options. Bali has the more cultural options, more outdoor options, better cuisine and a unique culture - and offers far better value! This is not to say that Mauritius isn't worth while, but given the choice I'd go to Bali, except if i would be looking for a very serene holiday on a very high budget!

UK
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

I haven't been to Bali so I can't help that much, but one thing that might feature in your consideration is that it's usually fairly cool in Mauritius in August so if you like your sunbathing it might not be the best choice for you. I actually find it to be a nice temperature but I am a wuss in the sun.

As far as I'm aware August is traditionally one of the best times to visit Bali, weather-wise, with warmth but low humidity (as much as you can ever predict it!).

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

Hi

I've been to both, they are very different and prefer Mauritius but that's not to say I didn't like Bali too, I did, and intend to return in the next couple of years.

Your money will go further in Bali, it is a much cheaper destination both for hotels and excursions/activities. I expect you will be asking questions on the Bali forum as to what to do and where to go, and that is where you will get the best advice.

There is plenty to see and do in Mauritius whether it be beach, sightseeing, watersports/boat trips etc. There is something to be found for everyone in Mauritius.

August is an ideal time to visit Bali, lowest rainfall and it will be hotter than Mauritius but also very humid. In Mauritius you would need to stay in the West or North West at that time of year, and it will be very pleasant temperature wise. I am sure you will not find it cold during the day but the evenings you may need something on your shoulders.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Mazza :-)

herts,england
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

Thanks guys for the great advice looks like it might be Bali !!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
365 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

I've been to both, and for a honeymoon, the no question answer is Mauritius.

Bali is more of a place you go with a group of friends to party and have a great time.

Mauritius is more of a once in a lifetime romance destination.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

Hi

Sorry to disagree with the previous poster but there are some lovely quiet, upmarket, couples type hotels in Bali and we didn't "party" at all - a holiday is what you make it - you can party in Mauritius (or anywhere for that matter) if you want to.

Lots of people return to Mauritius (and Bali) time and time again. A honeymoon is once in a lifetime so choose carefully

Best wishes

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

Just a quick note, so that you don't get too confused!

Bali is a wonderful honeymoon place (except the western coastal strip of Kuta and Legian, which is the Aussie equivalent of Magaluf)! The island has a very special athmosphere once you are outside the high power tourist strip (so has Mauritius, but less so IMHO).

Bali is relatively cheap, has woderful dining options, great spas and massages and amazing landscapes. The only thing that is definitely better in Mauritius would be some (not all!) world class beaches. Bali beaches are good, but not in the same league as Mauritius. Choose a wonderful hotel and both are fine!

P.S. a befriended couple went to their honeymoon to Bali and loved it. Everybody is different, Mauritius and Bali are both great, but given the choice, once again, Bali (yeah, but get a high class serene hotel!)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

Hi

I think we've done our best to sum up differences between the two and they are vastly different.

I would always go for Mauritius but it comes down to personal choice, if you go to Bali get a high class serene hotel as Dudel says and steer clear of Kuta area.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

hi.

i haven't been to mauritius...yet but i will at the beggining of september! i've been to bali last year and stayed in nusa dua area.it is nice with long beach and most hotels in the area good but nothing special.in comparison to other destinations i have been in asia-malaysia and thailand-bali i would rate it as third choice.

10. Re: August honeymoon !! Mauritius or Bali?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 05:16