We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Dehradun
2 posts
Save Topic
Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Hi all! this is Harry from Dehradun,India. We have

a Mauritius holiday itinery starting from 23rd Aug.

Can anybody please advice us on H1N1 update down there,so that we can postpone our trip accordingly.

thanx

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Harry swine flu is world wide now and Mauritius is probably much safer than the UK or India right now for instance.

Why such a negative post? Seems you want us to give you an excuse to postpone your trip?

Last I heard there were a few cases brought in by tourists.

If you can read French take a look at the online Mauritian press like L'Express and Le Mauricien.

Bronia

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

To date: 17 cases 10 of which were foreign tourists. One new development is the first death yesterday of a 50 year old Mauritian who died from respiratory complications.

I wouldnt be at all alarmed and see no reason to cancel your trip Harry.

Regards,

Bronia

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,365 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Mauritius has tightened up procedures regarding entry. There is a health questionnaire for all visitors to fill and if anyone looks ill they are quarantined. There are rumours that thermal imaging cameras have also been installed to spot people who might have a fever.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

I have all ready said this on another forum. I nursed my grandaughter with swine flu a few weeks ago, she was quite poorley but no more than the usuall flu. I was in very close cotact with her 24/7 for over a week and i have not contracted the flu, nor did any one else in the household. I wish people would stop scare mungering, she picked it up from nursery,not by going on holiday, why cancell a holiday on a what if, you can pick it up from your every day expossure to NORMAL daily living. Just be sensible about your own hygine ect and live life .not hide away on a what if !!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Denise

Dehradun
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Hi Bronia! Thanks indeed for your suggestion.

We r quite looking forward to a great holiday

in maurititus.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Just received latest update on this and 3 people have now died in Mauritius, but nothing to get alarmed about.

Bronia

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Latest update is that 5 people have now died.

Bronia

mauritius
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Hi Harry! I live in Mauritius. August is not the best time to visit this beautiful island. The weather is not good, perfect for getting a flu, swine flu or not. There have been 6 deaths due to swine flu and the govt. has stopped giving any further information on the latest no. of cases & deaths due to worries of panic. Schools are not officially closed but the attendance is negligible.

If its possible to postpone, it might be a good idea. Hope this helps. All the best

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Mangar

What a depressing post! Most of us in the UK will find the weather in Mauritius in August very good indeed and a great improvement on what we usually have here, so will not be susceptible to catching colds etc like you who live there.

The swine flu is now worldwide and there's no more chance of catching it in Mauritius than anywhere else, there has been far too much panic and scaremongering everywhere as Denise has said.

If I were to be coming on holiday in the next few days or weeks I would not be alarmed at all, I would certainly not postpone my trip.

Mazza :-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest on Swine flu in Maurititus

Hi,

I will be travelling on 27th SEP,09. Any further update on swine flu situation in Mauritius.

Regards,

Vineet