We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Due to our usual hotel, The Sands, being closed for refurbishment we decided that we would try an apartment in Flic en Flac for two weeks from the middle of June.

Our flight was with Emirates from Manchester with a 3hr transit at Dubai. We had seats close to the rear of the aircraft, 47 A and B which are in the configuration 2-4-2, rather than the 3-4-3 further forward, so negates the need to disturb anyone else when wanting to get out of the seat and also gives a bit more space. Excellent service from the cabin crew on all flights, the in flight entertainment with the ICE system helps to pass the time.

We booked with Taxismauritius to collect us from the airport and true to their word were waiting at the exit with a board with our name on. The vehicle, a 6 or 8 seater, had air-con and plenty of room for us and our luggage. It took just about an hour for the journey.

We stayed at The Grenadier complex which are part of the Jet 7 group, conveniently situated only 5 minutes walk from the centre of town.

The apartment was much bigger than expected with plenty of room for the two of us. The accommodation comprised a large living area with both 2 and 3 seater leather sofas and an easy chair, coffee table, wall units, t.v. and hi-fi. There was a dining table with 6 chairs and a well appointed kitchen, including washing machine and large fridge/freezer. I had no intention of cooking whilst on holiday, breakfast and the occasional light lunch being the only meals I prepared. We had one very large double bedroom with safe and en-suite bathroom, a further double bedroom, a twin bedroom and a family bathroom, there was plenty of wardrobe and drawer space in all three. Patio doors from both the lounge and the main bedroom lead to the balcony, it was huge, 30ft x 8ft and was furnished with two large tables and 6 chairs - plenty of room for a family to dine al fresco or to catch the sun in the afternoon.

There were 2 swimming pools and for most of the time it was just the two of us sitting poolside and swimming. 24 hour security, a gym and tennis court is also available.

We hired a car yet again from Grand Baie Contract Cars, a new Suzuki and was delivered at the allotted time. Great service and price from this Company as always.

Flic en Flac has a perfectly adequate medium sized Spar supermarket,with internet cafe, useful for on-line check in for the flight home, tourist information office, some touristy/gift shops, as well as pharmacy, post office and clothing stores. There are many restaurants and bars within walking distance. We had our favourites, these are personal choice of course but Chez Pepe/Pizza, The Aanari Hotel and The Sea Breeze were ones we frequented the most, also worth a mention are Ah Youn and The Sunset Garden. Dinner at the excellent Domaine Anna was a must, but this necessitates either hire car or taxi.

We had a few trips out, including:- one day going back to Casela with Mauritian friends and their small boy who was so interested in all the birds and the petting zoo, the views across from the restaurant really are stunning, other days north to Port Louis, Grand Baie, Mont Choisy and Perebere Beaches and visiting the little red church at Cap Malheureux. We went to Blue Bay in the South which really lives up to it's name, also drove along the East coast which true to form that day was cooler and windy.

The weather was fantastic. Hot and sunny every day until the day we came home! the evenings I expected to be cooler (or downright chilly) from previous experience in June holidays, but this was not the case. There was some rain but it was overnight and also on our way to the airport, so no problem there! Taxismauritius arrived early to take us back, it was no problem to wait in the carpark until we were ready and were happy to do a detour for us to say goodbye to friends in Quatre-Bornes. Can't recommend them highly enough.

To sum up we enjoyed our holiday very much, self catering is a different kind of holiday, not right for everyone but worked for us this time, we are happy to be returning to The Sands in September, the "hotel experience" in Mauritius is second to none.

Mazza :-)

Mentioned in this post
Aanari Hotel & Spa
Aanari Hotel & Spa
670 Reviews
Mauritius
Sunset Garden
Sunset Garden
292 Reviews
Mauritius
Flic En Flac
Flic En Flac
Mauritius
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
Port Louis
Port Louis
Mauritius
Mont Choisy
Mont Choisy
Mauritius
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
International Slave Route Monument
Monuments & Statues, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Le Jardin de Pamplemousse
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Gardens
Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Hi Mazza,

Thank you for the post, it was very informative.

Glad you had a good time, and back to The Sands in September !

Will see you in Mauritius in Sept, cant wait,

Many Regards ,

Denise :-))))

Mentioned in this post
Mauritius
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

great report. Could you PM me pls some contact info for this Apartment compex Can you tell us the cost per night? How was the beach?

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Hi Emmy

I have sent you a PM

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Thanks Denise,

Yes we are looking forward to the return, only 10 weeks to go (not that I am counting or anything).

Hope your arrangements are going ok for the renewal of vows and the rest of your trip. Take care.

Regards

uk
Level Contributor
729 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

A smashing review M - it really makes me realise even more how "wrong" our stay at the Ambre was!

Maybe a visit to The Sands is in order, especially with the refurb being done :)

Looking forward to your review in just over 10 weeks time lol

Jan x

Mentioned in this post
Ambre Mauritius
Ambre Mauritius
4,254 Reviews
Mauritius
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Thanks Jan

Hope you enjoy your forthcoming holiday and maybe return to Mauritius next year?

Best wishes

Maz :-)

Mentioned in this post
Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Going out to BMP on 5th. Sept for a 35th anniversary celebration. Been reading all the posts since we booked and have to thank you all for the info that will hopefully help make our holiday one to remember. By my calculation you Mazza 50 will be out there at the same time as we are. Look forward to meeting you in whatever circumstances and any other hints or tips you can come up with would be really helpful. Can't wait to get out there on that wonderful beach!

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

We are back in Mauritius in mid September for two weeks staying on the west coast again. You will have a great time at BMP, I've never stayed there myself but it has consistently good reviews.

Any queries about Mauritius please ask

Best wishes

Mentioned in this post
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,288 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Hi,

Stayed at BMP in May and you've made a great choice.

I will also be in MRU for 3 weeks September.

Bronia

Mentioned in this post
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back - Apartment in Flic en Flac

Hi Bronia

Can't wait to meet up with you again - my turn to bring the wine!

Take care

Maz