We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

Hi there...

We are heading to Mauritius in mid-August and are completely tied between these two hotels... We are concerned that if we go to Legends we might be slightly isolated and have heard rumours it is v.pricey if you dont go all inclusive, on the other hand it looks beautiful!!!

If anyone can help we would be very grateful

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,213 posts
1,636 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

Merville Beach is a 3* hotel whereas Legends is a 5* hotel.

Although Merville might have a slightly better location, Legends is only a short bus ride to Grand Baie where you would have a choice of places to eat.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,053 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

Legends and Merville are both owned by Naiade and yes, Legends is isolated at Grand Gaube, about a 25 minute drive from Grand Baie and is 4* whereas Merville is a 3* located a few minutes drive from GB.

I once stayed at Paul et Virginie, the only other hotel at GG and its very beautiful with lovely views towards the Northern Isles but it can be very windy at that time of year when the south easterly trade winds are strongest.

I think Legends is doing a rolling refurbishment last I heard, it badly needs it.

Merville's bungalow rooms are nicer than the old block ones.

If you want to be close to the small resort town of Grand Baie with its bars, shopping and restaurants I would opt for Merville.

Both hotels have bus stops outside but with Merville you can be in GB in minutes.

Check out the website:

www.naiade.com

Cheers,

Bronia :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

Thanks for your quick replies...:-)

So Merville Beach hotel would be protected from the wind much more than Legends is? The wind was another one of our concerns....!

If we chose to go to Legends, would you recommend hiring a car...?

Thanks again!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,053 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

Yes Merville is more protected as you say.

Its worth hiring a car if you stay at any hotel as you can see the island at your own pace in your own time. Driving is on the left.

Go for a local company which will be cheaper than the big names. You get the same service for less cash,

Regards,

Bronia :).

Enfield
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

Ive stayed at Mervile Beach hotel and I loved it. I stayed all inclusive and it was well worthwhile. The beach was stunning and we could go snorkelling or just go out on the glass bottom boat twice a day if we wished for free - I loved it and there are so many lovely fish to see. See if there are any more good reviews for the Merville Beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

Thanks Bronia...

Are there any car rental companies you know of to recommend? Driving on the left is not a problem as Im English...:-)

We are still so tied between the two hotels!!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,053 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

Hi,

Only you can decide on which hotel!

We have been using the same local car hire company for years and he gives excelllent service and value. He is based at Grand Baie next to the Mauritius Commercial Bank.

Website is:

www.etours.mu

Email him for a quote:

etours@orange.mu

Mazza also uses the same company.

Have a good trip,

Best Wishes,

Bronia :-)

Edited: 14 June 2011, 11:58
8. Re: Merville Beach Vs Legends for a young couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 15:17