We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauritius and/or Reunion and/or Seychelles?

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mauritius and/or Reunion and/or Seychelles?

Planning a trip, about 3 weeks, in late Dec/early Jan. I want to go to 1 or 2 of the above mentioned countries. Anybody been to 2 or 3 of them and can compare?

I want nice beaches, but definitely want more than that to my holiday. Me and my partner both like to experience local culture, do light-moderate hiking in areas of natural beauty, enjoy some night life now and then, plus watersports and diving.

Which are our best bets? We thought it might be easiest to do Mauritius and Reunion because they are small and close together so it would mean less travel time, but if we're really missing out on something in the Seychelles that we can't find there, perhaps we could change our plans? Or should we just do one of them?

1. Re: Mauritius and/or Reunion and/or Seychelles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 October 2011, 19:35
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,214 posts
1,638 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauritius and/or Reunion and/or Seychelles?

Mauritius and Reunion is a good combination.

I believe Mauritius tends to have better range and standards of hotels than Seychelles.

Reunion is a part of France, the Euro is the currency there and it can be rather expensive.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,785 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauritius and/or Reunion and/or Seychelles?

I've been to the Seychelles once, it has beautiful beaches and many island to visit, not sure about the time of year and the weather though. The hotels are expensive for what they are, you would need to stay in a 5 star.

Mauritius I have been to many times, plenty to see and do on the island. There's a good variety of hotels and all offer good value for money, either Half board or All Inclusive. Late Dec/Early Jan is a good time to visit, it's in the Mauritian summer and it will be very hot and humid and probably some rain.

Watersports and diving in both locations is good. Sorry have no idea about Reunion.

Mazza :-)

Nederland
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauritius and/or Reunion and/or Seychelles?

We have been to the Seychelles late december (La Digue and Mahe) and it was one of our best holidays ever as it combined the most beautiful nature (trekkings, snorkling), beaches (reading a book, surfing) and atmosphere.

Don't be fooled by the 5* star hotels with their absurd pricetags: you can easily find a very nice place to stay for about €80-100 per night.

We found it best to start at La Digue as it was totally relaxed: almost no cars but bikes and traveling by feet. La Digue will slow you down to Seychelles pace!

On Mahe rent a car and explore some hidden beaches and eat fresh fish with your feet in the sand.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauritius and/or Reunion and/or Seychelles?

Reunion is great for walking. If you go up into the Cirques, there are walks of all lengths through spectacular scenery. Good walking too in the Black River Gorge area of Mauritius.

Have you thought about Rodrigues Island - well worth a visit to experience a different culture - no four or five star hotels though.

6. Re: Mauritius and/or Reunion and/or Seychelles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 05:16