We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach in Mauritius

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Best beach in Mauritius

Hi, we are thinking about going to Mauritius with our son in may, he will be 17 months. Can you please advice us on the best beaches that we can walk into the sea without the use of shoes/ and good for swimming?

Thank you

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,495 posts
1,861 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

Some of the best beaches are in the west of the island. However the island is surrounded by coral, so its something you are going to find on the beach.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,140 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

You will need reef shoes or something similar for your young son, I always wear them, sharp bits of coral can be uncomfortable.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

thank you, we are looking to hotels now, we though about le morne but belle mare looks good for kids?!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,016 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

Belle Mare is my favourite beach - long sandy stretch. However it depends on when you want to go as July to August can be pretty windy on the east coast.

Belle Mare Plage is a great resort - my favourite.

www.bellemareplagehotel.com

For weather see

www.world-weather-travellers-guide.com

Bronia :)

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

Hi, we went to Mauritius with our 16 mths old son at the end of April 11 and we decided to go for the east coast as the beaches are supposed to be nicer. And I totally agree! We stayed at Beau Rivage on Belle Mare and it was fantastic for our son. The beach is amazing and very child friendly. He didn't nor us wear any shoes to sea but you should be careful (we did come across once the rock fish). I was worried about the wind being chilly as heard it's lot windier but when the sun was hot the breeze made it more bearable and pleasant. So highly recommend Belle Mare!

Edited: 11 February 2012, 22:24
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

Hi, thank you very much for your help. We want to go end of April for about 10 days, and it's looking that will be belle mare :)), now just a bit worried with fly... We think that direct will be better for our son ( will be nearly 17 months), but it's so loooonngggg!!!!:)))

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,016 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

BA do direct flights from LGW now - Air Mauritius do flights from LHR but be careful you don't get a code share with Air France as then you transit CDG Paris.

Direct flights are around 11/12 hours duration.

From Birmingham you can either fly Air France via Paris CDG or Emirates via Dubai. You could break the journey up with a short stopover in Dubai or just have a 3 hour or more transit.

These flights, including transit times would be around 16 hours total.

So decide which flight would best suit you and your toddler.

Regards,

Bronia :)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

Hi, thank you for all your advice.

Hotels?! What would be better for us, (it's our anniversary, want something nice, special, and childfriendly.... Its a lot to ask no?!:))) )lux belle mare or constance belle mare plage, or ...? Any advice?

Thank you

Regards

Resentment :))

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,495 posts
1,861 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach in Mauritius

Belle Mare Plage would be my choice.