We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

We're looking at booking a holiday in Mauritius next May.

We think we've narrowed it down to the Maritim or Heritage Awali, both look great and seem to be of a very high standard. We were wondering if anyone's stayed in both and can give us a comparison? We are a bit confused about what's included in the AI packages - i.e all restaurants, top shelf spirits etc. It's a bit different to what we are used to in the Caribbean

Many thanks.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,073 posts
2,003 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

In Mauritius AI packages there are always some exclusions. Branded beers and spirits tends to be excluded as they are very expensive, freshly squeezed fruit juices tends to be excluded.

Both are popular hotels, and in May weather conditions are not an issue as to which part of the island to stay in. Personally I would opt for Maritim as I prefer the north west side of the island.

Ely, UK
Level Contributor
409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

I am considering both hotels myself and in May too so will eargerly await the comments.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

I'm going in a little over 8 weeks!!! eeeek!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

Hello,

I've stayed at both hotels! Love them both

Maritim stunning location nearer to the nightlife in grand Baie, lovely rooms, pool overlooking the sea. The chateau is stunning and although at an extra cost is worth a trip to.

Food, drinks were great, although a little more limited than Awali.

Awali has a more isolated location in the beautiful south of Mauritius, so nearer to nature.

Great Ai package including champagne! There's a choice of 4 restaurants included in the Ai package and a few more you can pay extra for.

African themed hotel, with use of c beach club.

Is there a big difference price wise?

Ely, UK
Level Contributor
409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

Hi Poppy

Thank you for your detailed reply. The Maritim was £60 more expensive than the Awali. Idon't know about the OP but I deliberated and deliberated and finally chose the Awali. Two weeks booked for 6th May. It was the champagne that swung it lol. I just hope I have done the right thing the Maritim does look lovely.

Best regards

Jo

London, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

Hi Jo,

You won't be disappointed, they are both fantastic hotels!

Awali is my favourite hotel in the whole world, so hopefully you will love it as much as me?

Rgds

Poppy x

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

Thank you all so much for your posts - they have all been so helpful. We too are swaying towards the Awali and so assuming we are going on the 11th May, we may meet you out there Jo!

Poppy - glad to hear it's your favourite hotel in the whole world. It will be our first trip to that part of the world so it will be great to be spoilt rotten! the only other questions is if it is in a more isolated part of the island, what is it like going on excursions, and are there any you recommend?

Thanks again

Paul and Deb

London, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

Hello,

Its isolated in terms of towns, but perfect for exploiring the flora and fauna of the island.

The black river nature park/Chamarel etc starts within a 25 min journey & we normally spend around 3/4 hours just driving around the parks.

The walking with Lions at Casela is approx 50 mins away.

The south is where the nature and sights are, so plenty of things to see.

If you want to get to POrt Louis and visit Pampelmousse botanical gardens (i think i spelt this wrong?) It takes around 1 hour 15 mins - 1 hour 40 traffic dependant to reach these, i normally incorporate this into a day trip north.

North and SOuth are very different - some prefer the North as its busier and flatter, i prefer the south as its lush and beautiful.

London
Level Contributor
537 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

Hi

I thought I would resurrect this post due to the recent changes made to the AI policy at the Heritage Awali.

I have an existing booking at the Awali but I'm considering changing this to the Maritim. In regards to the Maritim, what exactly are the restaurant choices here available on the AI? We are staying for 14 nights, so the variety offered by the Awali was THE one feature that swung us their way when choosing between the two hotels. Now the Awali seems to be limited to just 3 restaurants, are we as well off at the Maritim in regards to choice?

London, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maritim vs Heritage Awali?

There's 3 restaurants at Maritim

The chateau which is fine dining and comes at a supplement

Beach restaurant which is a la carte

Buffet

Not sure whether the beach restaurant is included for evening meal? I think it will be.. So you would have 2 restaurants versus 3 at awali plus one visit to the chateau per stay at awali which excludes drinks.