We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

Devon
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

I am trying to arrange a two week holiday for February 2014 to celebrate a friend's special birthday. We have not been to Mauritius before. There is loads of useful information on this forum but I seem to be going around in circles somewhat and would really appreciate some specific advice.

Is February a good time to visit or would we be better off postponing until later in the year. I see from my research that although the temperature will be nice and hot there is a big chance of rain. I don't mind the odd tropical shower but days of heavy cloud and endless rain would be very disappointing. According to one weather website I have looked at that appears to be the case at the moment!

We are looking for a lovely beach where we can spend days snorkelling but also have the opportunity to visit local markets, shops, restaurants etc ie - we would like to experience a bit of local life whilst staying in a hotel. We will probably opt for mid range hotel on AI basis to control costs. Any advice on suitable resort would be appreciated. We won't hire a car so will be reliant on feet and local transport. We like to have a wander around in the evening (not to pubs and clubs though) and not to be trapped in the hotel.

There is a lot of information on the forum about eating out and buying drinks etc from supermarkets but little information on actual costs. What cost would say a three course meal for two people cost at a 'local' style restaurant and how much would say a loaf of bread and a large bottle of soft drink cost in the supermarket. This would give a benchmark and an idea of whether AI would be the best option for us.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

Your research is correct - February is a hot, wet month with a chance of cyclone activity in the Indian Ocean. If you can possibly wait until later in the year I would do so. April and May are wonderful months with less rain and humidity.

Base yourselves in the Grand Baie area as you will then be able to walk into town to the shops, market, restaurants etc. We have stayed at Le Mauricia which has the best location as it is literally in the center of Grand Baie. We've done both HB and All Inclusive there on different trips. If you like a couple of drinks with dinner and lunch then AI would probably be the answer. We however found that we were quite happy on HB as we bought drinks and snacks at the local hypermarket for a fraction of the cost of the same at the hotel which saved us a lot of money. You also don't feel bad going out for the day if you haven't paid upfront for AI which you won't be utilizing.

Most hotels offer free daily snorkeling trips out to the reef. Snorkeling from the beach at LM isn't great though.

One of the other DE's, Bronia, has a second home in Mauritius so she will be better able to give you an idea of costs at present. We've always found things in the shops to be on a par with South Africa.

Kind regards

Dee

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,835 posts
1,914 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

I have been in Feb a couple of times. The first time, we experienced rain showers for just 15 mins in one go throughout the trip. On the second occasion, rain on a few mornings, although a cyclone did bring heavy rain the day after we left, so pot luck is an important factor.

I would also stay around the vicinity of Grand Baie, you have more mid range hotels to choose from.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

Hi,

There was a cyclone last February named Giovanna and one January 3rd this year named Dumile. Also one named Felleng just passed and caused bad weather with lots of rain.

Lunch in a local restaurant at Grand Baie would be around 500 MUR pp - that's around £10.

Lots of fast food places like Steers, KFC, McDonalds, Nandos etc and there's a lovely cafe attached to one of the main supermarkets that does great takeaway food.

Cost is about the same as the UK.

A baguette is around 9 MUR and a loaf of bread is around 30 MUR.

A small coke is 22 MUR and a larger one around 36 MUR depending on offers.

A large 6 pack of water is 99- 110 MUR depending on stores offers.

Most things are the same price as the UK and some are more expensive because they are imported.

Wine is expensive - around 400 MUR for a decent bottle but you can get cheaper depending on what you want.

Hope that helps.

Bronia

Devon
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

Thank you so much for the very useful information - it is all very much appreciated. I think that maybe we shall postpone until May when hopefully the weather will be a little more settled. I think we may also consider a none AI option too as prices for eating and drinking outside the hotels do not appear to be as onerus as I feared!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

Good idea to wait until May. May is one of my favourite months.

February is the hottest most humid month. This year the summer temps have been above average - reaching 35C.

May will still be hot but not uncomfortable and not humid.

HB is the way to go and you will have more choice of hotel.

Prices in supermarkets and eating out work out much cheaper than the hotels - a bottle of wine in a 5* can knock you back £35 so the £8 isnt too bad and the supermarkets do have offers on too!

Local flavoured rum is a bargain and worth buying.

Bronia :)

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

May is our favorite time of year. Humidity is low so you feel more inclined to do things other than lying on the beach :-)

Loads of hotels to choose from if you aren't doing A I so happy hunting.

Dee

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
662 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

I was all set in my head to go in March but now I'm thinking of postponing until May if it is much less humid :-/ wish I knew what to do!!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

I'd delay until May if I was you. Maybe check the pricing as I've found May to be one of the cheapest times to go. It may swing you one way or the other.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
662 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

Eeeeeek really :-(

I will have a look into it, may go after Easter next year end of April

Cannock, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mauritius in February - weather and hotel?

May is the best time to go, I'm going mid May :) everything is just right at that time of year, the weather most importantly. It's not school holidays in Mauritius at that time of year so the locals would not be venturing out too much so all good things left for you to do. Less hype on the beaches and stuff.