We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

Going to Mauritius for the first time later this year. Already decided a couple of day trips that I want to do but was wondering if it was possible to do a trip to Madagascar for a couple of days to see the wildlife?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,185 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

I think it may be possible as there are regular flights to Madagascar. I think emirates does flights that may stop in Mauritius and then carries on to Madagascar.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

Air Mauritius flies to Antananarivo I think daily.

See their website:

www.airmauritius.com

I think you would need more than a couple of days.

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

It is possible. I was left in Mauritius with 10 month old twins whilst my husband went off to play 'Indianna Jones' in Madagascar for 3 days. We are going back in May and he plans to do a slightly longer trip. Total contrast between the luxury of the Mauritius resorts and the under-development of Madagascar. Bear in mind that the distances in Madagascar are vast and there is very little infrastructure so getting around can be quite difficult and you won't be able to get very far from Tana (Antananarivo) with only a couple of days, but there is still good wildlife within a 3-4 hours drive. This time my husband is heading South-West to the Spiny Forest around Tulear but with flight connections etc. that is going to take 4 nights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

Air Mauritius and air madagascar fly daily. Takes about 4 hours.

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

Is there any ferry from Madagascar to Mauritius?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

Afraid not - they are very far apart. Flying would be your only feasible option.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

Mauritius Shipping Company has had ferries between the two in the past but I think their schedule for this year is just for MRU-Reunion.

One way was $275 via Reunion.

www.mauritiusshipping.intnet.mu

8. Re: Trip from Mauritius to Madagascar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 06:19