We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Habit

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Bad Habit

We are at the Awali in may for our honeymoon and my hubby to be is a smoker. I just wondered if anyone could advise on smoking policy here and also should he stock up in duty free before we arrive or can he buy cigarettes whilst there?

Many thanks!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Habit

Most hotels are non-smoking in the rooms and restaurants. Most allow smoking in the bar areas and open spaces like the beach and gardens. Hopefully someone will give you an answer specific to Awali.

Awali isn't close to a major shopping area so it would probably be advisable for your soon to be hubby to stock up in duty free at Mauritius airport when you arrive.

Regards

Dee

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Habit

Thank you Dee. I will pass on that advice to him.

Andrea

Shepshed, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Habit

Hi There.

We are getting married at the awali on 10th May. There from the 3rd for 2 weeks. Both secret smokers - so I will keep an eye on your replies.

See you there

Andy and Nicola

London, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Habit

i can't speak for the hotels but cigarettes are widely available in shops and supermarkets. In the north west, where we stay, B&H are readily available much cheaper than in the UK, also Marlborough and several other UK brands.

I'm sure the hotels will all stock Western brands but probably at a premium to the shop/supermarket prices.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad Habit

Andy & Nicola, we don't arrive until the 20th and I think you will have gone home by then. We get married on the 11th and fly out the following week. I hope your wedding goes brilliantly! I have also been told that if you are stopping at Dubai this is also a good place to buy cigarettes on the way!

Andrea

London, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad Habit

If I were you, stock up on Cigarettes at Duty Free!

In the hotel, they are sold - but local brands only & around £8 per packet.

If you have a specific brand like me, you will be stuck unless you bring them with you.

The hotel inside is non-smoking - but you can smoke outside & on your balcony.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,051 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad Habit

Dubai duty free sells 200 Bensons for around £15 - thats up from 7 weeks ago when it was £12.

Mauritius Duty free are more expensive and the supermarket cigarettes here are much more!

Northampton
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad Habit

Hi, I got married in Mauritus in Dec at the Heritage Le Telfair which is next door to the Awali (part of the same complex). I'm pretty sure you could smoke in the outside bar areas of the Awali but not inside.

London
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad Habit

You can get Marlboro Lights in the Awali (and Red), as Poppy says though you're looking at £8 a pack, so definitely bring some with you.

The policy there is as Dee describes earlier, although as the main bar at the Awali is enclosed, you can not smoke there, there is an outside section though.

There are ash trays at pretty much every sun lounger parasol thingy too

10. Re: Bad Habit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 07:18