We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for a family holiday

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
best place for a family holiday

We have picked Mauritius for a three generation holiday to allow family members from the uk and australia to meet up roughly halfway!

There will be grandparents, parents and children aged between 3 and 15 and I want to ensure that there is something for everybody to enjoy, particularly good pools and children and teens clubs and interesting places close by to visit.

We are thinking of going in late July/August. Is that a good time for pool temperatures as a lot of time will be spent in the pool - or should we go in another month?

So far we have been drawn to the Sugar Beach resort or,possibly, Lux Belle Mer but are still open-minded.

I would be most grateful for any advice about which hotel, time of year etc that destination experts can give me. Thanks

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for a family holiday

Late July/August is still winter so temperatures in some pools will be low unless the pools are heated. Check this with the hotel you choose before booking. If you can it may be better to go later in the year when temperatures have increased. Our favourite time is April/May. Still wonderfully warm without the humidity and rain of summer.

Belle Mare is on the east coast and is subject to the trade winds during the late winter months so I'd recommend Sugar Beach or somewhere else on the west or north/west coast. Belle Mare is also slightly off the beaten track when it comes to places to visit within easy reach so may not be suitable. The east coast in general is more suited for a resort based holiday rather than site seeing/shopping etc.

Sugar Beach is a lovely resort in a good location as it's close to Flic en Flac for shopping plus in easy reach of interesting places to visit in the central and southern parts of the island.

A couple of other options spring to mind - Beachcomber's Trou aux Biche resort which has recently been completely rebuilt.

beachcomber-hotels.com/trouauxbiches-resort.…

Maritim Hotel

mauritiusattractions.com/Maritim-hotel-mauri…

Plenty of great hotels to choose from.

Regards

Dee

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for a family holiday

Thanks Dee, for your very helpful comments - it's looks as if Sugar Beach gets the family vote but checking on the pools for July/August - although your suggestion of later in the year is under active consideration!

Do you know what restrictions (if any) there may be for guests on half-board - in terms of menus and restaurants within the resort to eat?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place for a family holiday

Sorry - can't help with menu queries as I haven't stayed at Sugar Beach. Try contacting them on their website.

sugarbeachresort.com/-our-concierge-team-…

Regards

Dee

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place for a family holiday

My advice would be to go All Inclusive to Sugar Beach. We met with friends there for drinks a year or two back and whilst I don't mind £10 for a G&T, cocktail etc. my husband's fruit juice was only a couple of pounds cheaper. This will add up considerably in a fortnight's holiday. The snack menu was not cheap either and AI does give you peace of mind.

Best wishes

Mazza :-)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place for a family holiday

Sorry - Forgot to mention that whilst staying at Sugar Beach you can use all the facilities at La Pirogue, the sister hotel next door. Also there's a bus stop outside the hotel which will give you quick, cheap and easy access to Flic en Flac.

Mazza :-)

6. Re: best place for a family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 07:16