We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzie Situation ....

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
497 posts
281 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzie Situation ....

What's it like this year?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,607 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

Well I've had random bites since I've been back here the last two weeks, both daytime and at dusk.

I spray my place twice a day and have electric mats in each room, and apply deet anti-moz repellent every day at 4pm. A/C also helps keeps them a bay.

Hotels usually fog twice a week and supply moz mats. (If yours doesnt then just ask housekeeping)

Always apply anti-moz repellent when away from your hotel on trips etc as they are active in the day too.

If you do get bitten apply phenergan cream immediately (available from local pharmacies here) and put the affected area in cold water if you can.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 15:35
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
497 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

Thanks bronia. I was hoping that you'd say that there wasn't any :-/

Is the mat a plug in thing? Maybe I should bring one rather than risk the hotel not having them. I find that none of the cream works for me once I've been bitten, so I just roll a cold can or bottle on the area & that brings relief. But I shall definitely be using the anti-moz stuff as it cuts down on bites. I have skeeter syndrome according to my googling too.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,607 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

Duke that sounds nasty - I've had odd allergic reactions to the blighters but not had a problem beyond the red and itchy phase fo ages!

Over the counter creams dont work for me either but the pherergan cream is an antihistamine and can help reduce the swelling if applied immediately. Also cold water etc as you know.

Yes the plug in mats are good - we use Vape ones and you can get them at all supermarkets here, but by all means bring your own if you wish. A lot of the hotels use Vape mats too.

Make sure your repellent has a high DEET dosage - I think the Jungle Tropical Formula does. A good one you can buy here is Peaceful Sleep I like the roll on stick.

Good luck! :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
497 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

Thanks Bronia. I've got my Jungle stuff & the Avon Skin so Soft that everyone swears by, I'm desperate! I shall try the Peaceful Sleep too, where would I buy it?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,607 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

You're staying east?

If so then if you go into Centre De Flacq town any of the supermarkets there will sell it as well as pharmacies.

Try Winners :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
497 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

Yes bronia east. The reviews for The Tropical Attitude are so good that they make me want to cry, unless it's the meno :-/ My SIL's mentioned a Zapper too that can be bought from Amazon, so I'm off to order one now. She says it stops all the itching & swelling once bitten. Thanks again :-D

Edited: 01 June 2013, 14:49
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

Do you mean the clicker which delivers a slight shock? My DH swears by them. I keep meaning to get a couple of those little bats to swat the blighters with, I think they are on Amazon too, trouble is they are so sneaky you don't often see them till it's too late.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
497 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

That the one Mazza, I've just ordered a Zap-It from Amazon, same as the Zapper but cheaper. I'll try anything. I'm quite excited about it - how sad :-/ But then if you spend 2 weeks scratching or having people insist that you've been bitten by a spider when your mozzi bite swells then I suppose I have much to get excited about LOL!

It's for the body rather than to swipe the mozzi with in case there's any confusion Maz :-)

Edited: 01 June 2013, 15:44
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
497 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

Here it is - amazon.co.uk/Zap-It-Mosquito-Bite-Relief-Dev… Don't give me any ideas as I have one of those electric bats at home, not sure I'd get it through customs though.

Was too late to edit my post for a second time.

Edited: 01 June 2013, 15:47
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mozzie Situation ....

That's similar to those my DH uses, as you say these are cheaper. I like the wrist strap, lol.